Best Way to Remove Diesel Soot

HMBJack

Reaction score
Just finished a 3M Polish + Collinite Wax job on my 330 Express.

Ran the generator on my last trip and half of my Starboard side (where the diesel exhaust exits) was covered in soot.

Then, I read on The Hull Truth that Diesel exhaust soot actually adheres to a waxed hull better than an un-waxed hull.

Ugh! I would have thought the exact opposite...

For those with generators, what do you use to remove the soot? Any proven techniques welcome
I wish to remove the soot but not the wax.

Thanks,
Jack

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
On a white hull in the past, the only way I could get every last trace of the blackness gone was to use a strong detergent, which does remove the wax, then work the area over with an oxidation/restorer wax product like 3M or Meguires make. That got rid of the last of the black.

You might try washing with boat soap to get the majority of the soot then wipe with WD40. That may break up the soot and then allow you to wash away the WD40 with boat soap, which doesn't remove wax. Never tried that but just a thought.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Not perfect, but started using Mothers Ceramic spray coating in that area and it seems to do a lot better than any other waxes I have used.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Too bad. Most products that could address the soot are likely to remove the wax.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Roll-Off spray cleaner. I fish on a few big sleds in the Summer. We don't "wash" anymore - only rinse - but transom is sprayed down with Roll-Off and scrubbed down with a soft brush.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Roll-Off spray cleaner. I fish on a few big sleds in the Summer. We don't "wash" anymore - only rinse - but transom is sprayed down with Roll-Off and scrubbed down with a soft brush.
I'll second the Roll-Off - great stuff. If you get to the soot quick enough, a rag may be all you need.