Best way to sell my Grady

Bay Drifter

Reaction score
Hi all, have not been on here in forever. Getting ready for retirement so selling my grady. Next boat will be much smaller. I still have a loan on it so would a broker be the best way to go or try it myself. Transfer of ownership seems difficult dealing with the bank etc. In case you are wondering, 2008 tournament with f250. Has every option and canvas available. Less than 400 hours. I know,what a waste, average less than 100 hours per year.

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You can use boattrader,com,THT, list it on this site or use ebay or craig's list. I suggest taking plenty of photos and include any documentation of maintenance or repairs. This time of year is not optimum time to sell a boat but there are those looking for a late season deal. Brokers will take a percentage of the sale so you might factor that in when you are thinking of a price. I don't remember if Maryland is a title state but you should have no problem paying off the loan and getting the paperwork squared away. Here in SC, we don't title trailers but the boat and motor have separate titles. Go figure!

Funny, I bought my boat when I retired

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi,
You could do it yourself as stated or maybe look into having the local dealer broker it for you. They take their cut, but they handle all the customer interface and paperwork. If doing it yourself, I'd use boat trader, the hull truth, great grady and yachtworld. Take sufficient pics and have a link to site like shutterfly, flicker etc where you can post a ton of pics. This way someone can go and see just about everything if they want.

Britfish

Reaction score
Post it on craigslist.
Have someone help you to sift through the losers on there.
As far as paperwork, talk to friends / bank etc
Hate to see you hand over money to a broker for such a great boat, they are only in it for the cash.
Happy to help if you need it, we can take this off line.
Get what you deserve

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You might check out Angler's Edge:

http://www.anglersedgemarine.com

I kept running into boats listed with them when I was looking for a used Graday.

For a flat $250 they handle national advertising and provide some closing services for you. Beats paying 10-15% to a local broker.

ahill

Reaction score
I've had my '98 272 for sale for 2 years.
Listed on this site with hundreds of looks & only one offer. I've tried to sell previous boats on THT & Classic Mako with no results.
Listed on ABL as featured boat, only brokers contact me.
Listed with POP with one LOOOOW ball offer.
I don't need to sell & have decided not to move up so I renewed my dock lease & will continue to enjoy it.
If I do sell in the future I'll use Boat Trader on line.
Craigslist is full of scam artists so be very careful. I've resorted to googling some names to see if they are legitimate. One recently I was sure was a fake name but turned out to be a known boating author.
Another Craigslist story is a response to selling a boat trailer & the respondent said that my ad was so impressive that I must be "smokin hot & let's meet for drinks" !
Good Luck, be careful & don't expect miraculous results.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Been thinking on this, would be interested in what others think...
I'm starting to think the best route is to sell it through a GW dealer. My reasoning (unproven) is that GW is a family-fishing boat and every year it looks like the brand is moving toward a family-entertaining thenfishing boat (proof: options being offered (flip up seats in the cockpit gunnels - loss of rod and other storage, built in grills, power reclining seats, sun shades - waiting for ski pylons on the express models :D ), fancier albeit small to medium cabins-not really all that useful with the trim level they possess if you ask me (I swear they are made to look like a small living room to pull the admiral in - not a functioning boat cabin), passing on fishing platform features for entertaining first and fishing features second, dual consoles up and down the line etc.

As such, today's typical buyer isn't likely a hard core fishing guy or just a guy for that matter. Todays buyer is a dad that may like to fish but has a family in tow and is looking for a multi platform boat. This means the family and the admiral is more likely in the decision loop. Likely the guy isn't the dad of yesteryear tinkering with the boat every weekend, or doing all his own work. He likely does some maintenance, but has the dealer do the bulk of the work. This happened to a degree with my family 2X. We ended up at boat shows and then the dealer. The last thing a guy with a family wants is a boat with no warranty that doesn't protect him until he is comfortable with it or a problem boat that not only costs time and aggrivation but family dissatisfaction. A GW today is a family luxury item buy, not a necessity and not a hard core fishing boat. Anyone that disagrees, I beleive is living in the past - the brand has moved to serve a different customer segment. If the admiral or kids have a bad experience (unreliable, uncomfortable, lack of head and other ammenities), boating in it's entirelty could be over for that guy. He is crazy to risk it.

I know it is tough to take the hit paying the dealer. Forking over 10% to have the dealer, market, deal with customer, prep and warranty the boat hurts, but is likely the way this brand will likley sell fast. Maybe try the less costly alternatives and if they don't work out, then use the dealer? Just don't wait so long that you miss the peak buying period and could end up selling cheap or worse a year later....

BTW, I'm no dealer. I'm more like the guy I describe, my boat is away and I have time to ponder all the world's problems until spring.... Just tossing it out there as chum for discussion.

ahill

Reaction score
Good Point!
I bought my Sailfish from a dealer I have been going to for parts, outboard repairs & more for 26 years.
Trusted them, got a good price and they did some repairs at the sellers expense before delivery to me.
I would guess the seller had preapproved a repair budget.
Would you rather pay 10 % to a broker or a GW Dealer?

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Fishtales....I am sort of like that guy too! With a shrinking budget, going fishing is becoming a bit more scarce. So boating becomes more family oriented activity. Then again I bought a Grady beause we like the water. We enjoy water sports, we enjpy fishing and snorkeling. We enjoy a boat that is sea worthy first, built tough, rides nice, fine workmanship and can be relied upon. Grady knows they are not a go fast super fishing machine. They are that boat you describe in so many ways.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
100 hours a year is pretty good for a 4 year old boat. I live in a climate that allows me to use the boat for 8-9 months a year and have the option to haul it to Florida for the other 3. I only put 60-70 hours a year on it at the most...

That said, a well written ad on THT or Great Grady, with a lot of clear pictures, AND A FAIR AND REASONABLE PRICE will get it sold. I sold my 180 in 9 days, back in February of this year, to someone who saw the ad on THT.

I found my current 225 on Craigslist, so if you are willing to deal with the nonsense, you might get lucky.

Transfer of title and paying off the loan is not a big deal. You meet the buyer at the bank....buyer wires the funds to the entity holding your lien/titles, and as soon as the wire is confirmed, the titles should be able to be released. The buyer can use the boat for 30 days until the paperwork arrives; virtually all states will recognize a notarized bill of sale as ownership while the registration is being transferred.

Bay Drifter

Reaction score
Thanks guys, fishtales summed up my entire purchasing thought process. Good info from all. I took a quick look at boat trader and noticed most if not all late model grady's are being sold at the three grady dealerships in the area. There is something to be said about your potential buyers attraction to the grady dealerships. Food for thought. Spring is a long way off, time to put the boat to bed.

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
While the fall might not be the best time to sell a boat, you might want to go ahead and be thinking about a dealer if you go that route. With fall and spring boat shows coming up, a good clean used boat could be just the boat many are looking for. I expect there will be alot of sticker shock at boat shows this year.