Best we can do......Evinrude G2's / Marlin300

1998sailfish

Reaction score
3850 rpms
This appears to be the sweet spot of the Marlin 300 hull powered with Evinrude G2 250's . I really don't think that 300's would make a difference with this hull design. I have found that bumping the cruise speed up to 33 mph and rpm's to 4000 yields a burn of 20.7 which is a gallon more per hour at which point we are splitting hairs.

Dash view: https://vimeo.com/130056203

Cool Running's: https://vimeo.com/130056204

1998sailfish

Reaction score
Tucker said:
Tom, is this with max engine trim and no hull trim?

Tucker, engine trim But not maxed out. Correct, no hull trim. The 4 blade RX props do a great job of lifting the stern at speed.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Looking at your numbers and doing the math in my head (big mistake); it looks like the increase in RPMS to 4000 and speed to 33 MPH is linear. Meaning your economy didn't drop drastically. Looks like 9% increase in fuel burn equals a 9% increase in speed. If they were OX66's, I'd betha, a 9% increase in speed would yield a 20% increase in fuel burn.

1998sailfish

Reaction score
Tucker said:
Looking at your numbers and doing the math in my head (big mistake); it looks like the increase in RPMS to 4000 and speed to 33 MPH is linear. Meaning your economy didn't drop drastically. Looks like 9% increase in fuel burn equals a 9% increase in speed. If they were OX66's, I'd betha, a 9% increase in speed would yield a 20% increase in fuel burn.

Agreed, we are extremely pleased and pleasantly surprised with the outcome after choosing NOT to re power with Yamaha. :dance

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
1998sailfish said:
Agreed, we are extremely pleased and pleasantly surprised with the outcome after choosing NOT to re power with Yamaha. :dance

And, as an added bonus, your new motors, like your boat, are "Made in USA!" It's always a good thing when our major purchases don't add to our trade deficits.

You may be even more impressed when you look at your low-speed performance. I posted my G1 E-tec slow-speed and cruise numbers here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20691

fischer

Reaction score
I'd be very pleased with those results. You've added a lot of range to your Marlin.

fischer

Reaction score
What kind of top end numbers are you getting now?

1998sailfish

Reaction score
fischer said:
What kind of top end numbers are you getting now?

44-45 mph @ 5600 rpm's with motors trimmed up. At this speed the mpg drops to 1.2 mpg. I never intend on making a habit of running at this speed....................

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
When you have some time to mess around on a calm day, try measuring the speed and fuel use over the whole operating range starting at 500 up to WOT in 500 RPM steps. I'm curious to see if they have improved on the G1 numbers at the low end (i.e., 1500 RPM and below) where most boaters spend most of their time. It is hard to believe they could given the G1 numbers were already so low. For example, I'm pushing 7 MPG when trolling at 3MPH with both engines on and a single engine only burns 0.19 gal/hour at idle.

When you combine your excellent cruise numbers with your TBD low end numbers, I'll bet you have the most fuel efficient Marlin on the water today..! (And you haven't even told us about the gut-wrenching torque yet..!) :goodjob

(Below is a short 21 second video showing a guy trying to get comfortable while under G2 acceleration... :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PqtUa1i42s

-Scott

fischer

Reaction score
The G2s are supposed to be more efficient regarding 2 cycle oil consumption. At some point, when you need to add oil, it would be great to know how many miles per gallon of oil. Sorry about all the questions - at some point, I'll repower and these engines (300 hp version) and the F300s are my primary candidates. Oil changes in the 4 strokes are expensive and I'm curious how it will wash against 2 cycle oil cost.

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
fischer said:
The G2s are supposed to be more efficient regarding 2 cycle oil consumption. At some point, when you need to add oil, it would be great to know how many miles per gallon of oil. Sorry about all the questions - at some point, I'll repower and these engines (300 hp version) and the F300s are my primary candidates. Oil changes in the 4 strokes are expensive and I'm curious how it will wash against 2 cycle oil cost.

The claim on oil consumption is that the "Evinrude E-TEC G2 uses lube oil so efficiently with its targeted oiling system and built-in two-gallon reservoir, a full tank should last all season."

Of course that has to depend on how the boat is used, number of hours, etc. That was true for my G1 engines last year in that I filled my oil reservoirs in spring and didn't have to add oil until again this spring. I think my reservoirs are 2.5 gallon and my engine hours were around 60 mixed cruising and trolling.

You can download the G2 owners manual here: http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/

(Follow the prompts Evinrude --> E-tec G2 --> AG models. They ask for your email address but that is optional - just click "view" to skip that)

They are claiming no dealer required maintenance for 5 years for recreational users. That's up from 3 years for G1.