Best Windlass for a 228?

daveuch

Reaction score
I need a windlass for a 228 and was considering the Lewmar Pro fish 1000. Any input pro or con would be appreciated.

Desperado

Reaction score
I have the Profish 700 and must say the thing is big and heavy compared to the factory Grady windlass. I think the 1000 would be overkill on anything 30' or less.

Renovator

Reaction score
I have the ProFish 1000 on my Sailfish and I think the 700 would be fine for anything under 25', the 700 also uses a smaller wire size and the factory set up if you have one may be fine. My windlass has worked great until just recently whereas the "freefall" has quit working, you can only power down but actually it is still fairly quick to reach the bottom as I found out this past weekend fishing in 110'. Be sure to cleat the rode off when anchoring as the strain will continually "tighten" the freefall clutch and eventually freeze it up. I routinely do that but still it happened after 2 1/2 years of regular use. The service tech said this happens from time to time on these units but they come with a 5 year warranty and they are repairing mine at the moment. Kinda PITA to remove but luckily we have a local factory repair shop and I will have it back in a week or so. Good luck with it.

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Agree with renovator. My used 228 has the Lewmar 700. It came with 30' of chain and is way more than adequate. Only wish that it was free fall.

daveuch

Reaction score
Thanks for the input.

I believe the 1000 and 700 are the same size and only $80.00 more for the 1000. The rode may be the deciding factor. 5/16 v 1/4 chain and 9/16 v 1/2 line. I will be buying all new any suggestions on brand or type.

Did you mount directly to the hatch?

glemboh

Reaction score
I bought the profish 1000 for my Gulfstream a few years ago and never looked back. The reason why I bought the 1000 instead of the 700 was to get the unit with the contactor and controls that would work with a wireless remote without buying the contol parts seperately. I also installed the hard wired switch on my dash. I contacted Lewmar prior to the purchase and they agreed to swap the gypsy it came with (9/16" line) for one that works with the 1/2" line. Both profish units are identical in size and with a boat this small I wanted to stay with thinner line. The wireless remote has been a godsent when there is an issue with the line I grab it and go up front, verses having an inexperienced person or my wife trying to clear a line problem in the anchor locker.
Hope this helps.