Big heavy motors on a 94 228 G Tourney and max hp ??

Reaction score
I have been reading as much as possible about the repower for my 94 228G Tourney and I am stumped. In your opinion, should I put a newer fourstroke, like the yamaha 225-300hp (580lbs) or Evinrude 225-300hp (528lbs) OR should I stick with something lighter like the 200hpdi (480lbs) or Etec 200 (433lbs)?

Will 100 lbs extra make the boat sit with scuppers underwater? Could a one way scupper valves solve that?

Also, I wonder why my boat is rated for a 235hp max? Was it due to the extra weight of the 250 at the time or the extra torque? I would love to exceed this max if my budget at the time (next summer) allows me too, but not at the expense of damaging the boat. If all went well, a 300 etec at 528 lbs would be awesome or 200 etec at 433. The yamaha 200 hpdi is an aption too or a 250 opti (505lbs). My head is spinning. I love yamahas, but I think brand wise they are all pretty comparable nowadays. I have access to all the above dealers fairly easily.

I am interested in your opinions. :hmm

Kevin

uncljohn

Reaction score
#1 a 228G is a Seafarer. Walk-around style. The Tournament is a bow-rider, correct?

Tournament weighs a little less than a Seafarer. 100 extra pounds hanging off the bracket will affect a Tournament more than a Seafarer relative to scuppers. Most Seafarers with big 4-S on them have scuppers either partially or fully submerged. The same engine on a Tournament will probably put the scuppers slightly lower in the water.

Exceeding the Max HP rating for a boat can be bad. The Coast Guard rates boats for HPs for a reason, just like they rate them for capacity/load. Has to do with weight of engine, strength of transom, hull design.

IMO you'd be foolish to even think about putting a 300 on there. 225 is probably the max I'd put on it.

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Where are scuppers presently when boat is in water, and how heavy is the current engine? Find out the weight difference and temporarily add that to transom area and check scupper location.
One other possible issue is, I've read that exceeding manufacturers' recommended HP ratings MAY cause you problems in the event of an accident, hull warrantee, etc. I thought Seafarers were rated for 250hp, but I could be mistaken.

Grouper Duper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My older ('88) Seafarer 228G is rated for 285hp according to the factory placard. I assume that was for the stern-drive models since there were no outboards in that range. Those V8 stern-drive motors seem to be WAY heavier than outboards, so it wouldn't seem to me that the hp or weight would be much problem.

The exit holes of my scuppers have always been at/near the waterline (with the original Yamaha carbed 200 and also with the current Yamaha 225 OX-66). The exit holes are several inches below the inlets on the deck, so it's not a problem.

Reaction score
The boat is a bow rider and that is a very good point you bring up about it weighing less than the sea farer. One of the problems is that I bought the boat w/o a motor so I have no way of testing how it rides in the water or asking the previous owner as I bought from a dealer. My GW dealer has the same boat with a 2504s and said that I should not even worry about it and put a 250 on it.

I think slightly exceeding the Max HP is probably OK. The 250 Optii is only 505 lbs, so its got the best power to weight ratio in the bunch. I guess that is why you see so many repowered with mercs.

I agree about the 300hp, but I wanted to throw it out there to see what you think.

Thanks!

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
" My older ('88) Seafarer 228G is rated for 285hp according to the factory placard. I assume that was for the stern-drive models since there were no outboards in that range. Those V8 stern-drive motors seem to be WAY heavier than outboards, so it wouldn't seem to me that the hp or weight would be much problem."

I don't know for sure , but I would think that x lbs sitting low inside of a hull ( sterndrive engine) is a different animal than that same weight hanging off of a bracket aft of the transom. I would bounce the question off of Grady customer service and get their recommendation.

no problem

Reaction score
An important part of what brand to choose is how convenient getting it serviced will be. You may be seeing mercs because they have a price or service advantage where you are at. From what I've heard Grady's answer will always be Yamaha. Good luck keep us posted.

leek

Reaction score
I have an 08 225 tournament with 250 yamaha plus 9.9 kicker. The scuppers are below the water but the floor drains are generally dry, even with several 200 lb guys working the lines. I would buy some sandbags to simulate the weight and see how it looks.
FWIW I jokingly asked about putting a new 300 on the boat and the dealer indicated that the bottom for the newer 225t offered with the 300 has been beefed up, but he may have been trying to sell a new boat :)