Bigger inspection plate in Gill bracket

jail

Reaction score
I am thinking of putting in an 8" Armstrong inspection plate to replace the useless 5" one on on my Gill bracket. Do I need to be concerned about structural issues with the bracket? Has anyone done this?IMG_0937.JPG

Last edited:

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Size of bracket already there? Single/twin bracket?

Typically an inspection plate is just that... for inspection - which 5" is usually plenty. Is there a specific reason? Generally, though, I would say you'd be alright - but hard to say without seeing things.

jail

Reaction score
I want a new plate because the screw holes on the original have plastic inserts that are striped, and the 5" bring that is suppose to seal it is not available. So to seal it I need to use good adhesive to seal it down, then it is a project to see if I have water leaking in.
Armstrong makes a nice plate , designed for brackets that is easy to seal and unseal without the use of tools. 8" is their smaller size.

Fishtales

Reaction score
looks a bit large. maybe shoot an note to Gill?

jail

Reaction score
Gill is out of business. I just found out Armstrong makes a 6" plate. I will go with that one.

Last edited:

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I don't think it would be a completely bad idea to use the 8" - there's a decent amount of material still in the right places. But better safe than sorry - the 6" will be totally fine.

Are you sure you can't get a new 5" plate and just use through bolts? At least that way you wouldn't have to drill a new hole. Beckson, for example, makes a 5" plate - check around. There's lot's of deck plates out there where the top plate can be twisted in /secured with just your hand. Maybe Armstrong does, as well. It would certainly be easier if you didn't have to cut a new hole.

jail

Reaction score
Went with the Armstrong 6". Worked out great. You cut a 7 3/4" hole for the 6" so it is plenty big enough to see inside and get your arm in there to re-seal that stupid plastic plug.