bigger plotter :)

wdlfbio

Reaction score
Had a great opportunity to upgrade and add a VHF200, so I took it. Went from 8" to 12". I think I'm going to like it :dance

SmallvsLargerPlotter.jpg

I need to move the original VHF over to the AUX switch and the new Garmin VHF to the radio switch (assuming they are different batteries).

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I would be very surprised if there are different power sources for those two switches.

I have one of our fixed VHFs powered by the house bank, which powers all the usual auxiliary loads, and the other fixed VHF is powered by the engine power coming up to the instruments.

Brian

wdlfbio

Reaction score
Enige power, as in a direct feed from the engine (which doesn't seem right) or the same line that feeds the engine switches? If the former, then it sounds like that VHF would only operate when the motors where running? If the later, then I can see that VHF being hot as long as the battery switch is on for that motor?

I know the old VHF can power on as soon as I turn the starboard battery switch to 1, but not when I turn the port battery switch to 2. Might take me a bit to see what existing switches get hot when I turn the port battery to 2, or if I have to add a new switch for the new Garmin VHF.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
As I said, the engine power coming up to the instruments. Hot as long as either engine battery switch is on, as I installed the diode "y" unit so ALL the engine instruments get power from either engine.

My house and engine banks are completely separated. I can not run the engine batteries down through use of house loads. Would have to use a cable to cross-connect them. Four batteries - one for each engine and two in parallel for the house bank.