Bildge Odors 330 Xpress

Squid1962

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Having issues with bad bildge odors. Seems to be coming from after center bildge area where wash down and head valves are located center of the aft berth below deck. Shower sump appears clean.
Suggestions. Thoughts ideas?

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Need to add some bilge cleaner to it. I'll often take a half bucket of soapy water and dump it down there as well. Typically the advice is to add the bilge cleaner then go take a run where it can get everywhere from bouncing. I simply add it, and let the bilge pumps remove it.

Reactions: Viking88rd

Squid1962

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Need to add some bilge cleaner to it. I'll often take a half bucket of soapy water and dump it down there as well. Typically the advice is to add the bilge cleaner then go take a run where it can get everywhere from bouncing. I simply add it, and let the bilge pumps
Need to add some bilge cleaner to it. I'll often take a half bucket of soapy water and dump it down there as well. Typically the advice is to add the bilge cleaner then go take a run where it can get everywhere from bouncing. I simply add it, and let the bilge pumps remove it.

Squid1962

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Kirk. Thanks. We are talking about under the aft berth center hatch where the three thru hull control handles (wash down, waste and live well) are as well as the shower sump drain box?

loubeer

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I wonder if the waste hose is leaking or old enough to seep waste water - that hose discharges pumped waste out of the head thru an open thru-hull. Many of the head deodorizers color the waste water - look for signs of that colored water in the bilge area. If you see it, you're leaking somewhere.
The wash down and the livewell hoses suck seawater in from the thru-hulls. If you don't use them often, turn them on and flush out the lines. Standing sea water can quickly smell very ripe. I'd also run some freshwater thru the shower sump. Obviously check all hose connections for leaks and you've already got good info on cleaning the bilge area. Good luck!!

Squid1962

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I wonder if the waste hose is leaking or old enough to seep waste water - that hose discharges pumped waste out of the head thru an open thru-hull. Many of the head deodorizers color the waste water - look for signs of that colored water in the bilge area. If you see it, you're leaking somewhere.
The wash down and the livewell hoses suck seawater in from the thru-hulls. If you don't use them often, turn them on and flush out the lines. Standing sea water can quickly smell very ripe. I'd also run some freshwater thru the shower sump. Obviously check all hose connections for leaks and you've already got good info on cleaning the bilge area. Good luck!!
You guys are very helpful. Thank you so much

Beyond A Wake

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
The waste hoses may not leak fluid but vapors when they get old. So a color test may not reveal a bad hose. If that id the odor and it is easy!!!! To replace hoses just do it. Now assuming the boat is over 15 years old.
Otherwise just us those left over Covid ..... not really.
h

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Yes that is where I pour in the soapy water. It is open to the rear as well through limber holes. Mine gets a bit grody if I’ve not used the boat in a week or so and some stagnant water is in there. Usually cleans up fine.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Open the starboard panel in your aft cabin and check for leaks around the Holding tank hoses, vacuum pumps etc. you can tighten and replace the gaskets quite easily. Mine had minor leaks around both the vacuum pump and the discharge pump. Also check to make sure your vent hose goes out the starboard side and is clear with a filter. If there are any leaks, even if they are minor, they will drain down into the bilge area that you have described.

georgemjr

Reaction score
Start at the beginning with what Kirk a said. I throw some bleach in there from time to time to eliminate mold and in addition to bilge cleaner, I throw a splash of Pine-sol in there, makes the whole cabin smell fresh. Bilge stays clean and nice. Also, when taking for a spin, I run it very nose high in the beginning so that all the water drains to the aft and I put the aft bilge on until it stops pumping overboard ensuring most of the water is removed. Water lays forward on these boats and the standing water gets funky. After I drain it I throw another splash of pine-sol in there. If, after you have done this, it is still rancid you can start looking deeper into hoses etc, but I will bet my method does the trick.

Reactions: kirk a