Bildge pump float switch not working

2ndChance

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Quick question about a float switch on an adventure 208. I checked mine this weekend, and it doesn't work. First thing I looked at was batteries - 12V on both. Next was the inline fuse that is on a direct hook-up to one of the batteries. While the filament itself is not broken, there is corrosion on both ends and also on the rubber fuse-holder. I'm going to replace the fuse, and clean up the holder.

Any other suggestions on obvious things to look for? The rocker switch on the panel works if you hit manual – so I know the pump itself is OK. I’m not sure how to access the fuse panel under the dash – but I’ll figure it out.

Joe

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If the pump works it is most likely the float or a break in the wire from the float. You coud cut the wires from the float and touch them together if the pump goes on then it is the float if not then there is a wiring issue. Good Luck

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The switches do go bad from time to time.

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
We had the exact same problem. Manual switch on the dash worked, float switch did not. Used an Ohmmeter to verify the float switch was bad. Replaced the switch. Actually gave up trying to remove the old switch as my arms are not long enough, nor am I a contortionist, so I left it there and installed another float switch next to it.

Reaction score
I have an older Grady that has been in saltwater since new. Most of my electrical problems seem to be corrosion with connections. I use electronic connection cleaner (comes in a spray can) and fine sand paper. This has saved me from replacing several components. Also if you don't have one, buy an inexpensive volt meter to check continuity and current. Some electrical problems seem illogical but start from the source component and work backwards and you'll eventual find the problem.

UpGrady

Reaction score
Did you try to manually lift the float switch up on your? If so and the pump worked, then it's the switch, of not then get out your meters and figure out which connection(s) are bad. Mine was easy this summer, the switch would work when I pulled up on it manually, but it was gummed up so badly that it would not float high enough to trigger, so replaced the switch and back in business.

2ndChance

Reaction score
thanks guys. the switch won't work when I manually pull it up. the inline fuse had some corrosion on it, as I indicated, so I'll clean the rubber fuse holder, install a new one, then try the switch again. I think the switch is original, from 1993, so I'm tempted to replace it anyway. The wires appear to be intact - overall, the boat is in very good condition, having been kept on a trailer, so I'm hoping saltwater corrision won't be an issue on other connections.