Bilge and Trim indicator

HuskerBoater

Reaction score
Got two questions....Is it really necessary to "clean" the bilge? Also, my engine trim indicator (digital on 2006 Yamaha gauges) stopped working today. Any suggestions on what to check?

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
The bilge is important to clean if it gets dirty or mildew -
Probally more imporant on a boat with a cabin or an I/O than with a small outboard powered boat.
I ran my 16' Bass boat 7 years with out cleaning the bone dry bilge and it was fine-
On my 265 express every couple of years I pull the hatches and clean the mildew (from condisation).

The trim problem - there is a sensor on the motor that get stuck all of the time, it is a black plastic sensor - right were the motor pivots-
With the motor is the down position (the sensor most likley will be stuck in the up position) move the sensor a few times by hand thru its travels - should be good to go for another season or two -

Slight chance the plastic arm could be broke-

Tim

ksgoldman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
Depending what year and model engine you have, the sensor may have been plastic (Yamaha has switched to metal because so many of the plastic ones have failed). I had a boat with a Yamaha 150 4 stroke and the sensor arm broke (the plastic version) and my dealer replace it with the metal version (took 15 minutes). Good luck.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Does anyone have the plastic arm senders, that didn't break, but seized up, and Yamaha replaced under warranty?

Mine siezed up again half way thru season, even though I lubed heavily and exercized them before season start.

GYP-SEA

Reaction score
My boat w/ twin 150's and my neighbor's w/twin 150's both had plastic. all 4 arms broke the same yr (2 & 3 yrs old). Yamaha now makes metal. If the swing arm sticks use T-9 or wd-40 and work the spring on the pivot arm for a little while and it will free up. I have to do that every year.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks, the design is no good if it doesn't even last one season on a lube job.

On my old Johnnie 150s, never lubed the sender and it always worked.

I was wondering if the metal ones work on their own, vs. the metal ones.

Both mine get siezed up first year on full tilt since they sit most often that way, so I can see why the lever has not broken off.