Bilge Cleaning Tip

Fishtales

Reaction score
I was prepping the boat for spring launch and on of the tasks is to clean under the mid-berth (2 access panels) and the aft deck (I pull it up every year) where all the thru hulls, generator and the like are down there. Every year, there is some dirt and mold that accumulates (aft much worse than the mid berth areas). Anyway, I used Zep Mold and Mildew by the gallon at HD. It worked great for years, then really disappointed. I believe they changed the formula and it is far less effective.

I found this stuff and gave it a shot. It worked out great and I highly recommend it. Spray the area, wait a minute or so and blast it away with the hose. The boat is pitched aft during layup with the plug out so everything runs right out.

Automated14

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
5% sodium hypochlorite, Clorox is 6-7.5%. I use the Dollar Store version.
I use Nautical one extreme mold and mildew remover. It's definitely bleachy smelling but has some other stuff in it. best part is they add some kind of thickener to it... really "hangs" onto whatever you spray it on.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have the mold too. I'm not a fan of using a bleach smelling product. Anyone find something that works and doesn't have that bleach smell?

Fishtales

Reaction score
I use Nautical one extreme mold and mildew remover. It's definitely bleachy smelling but has some other stuff in it. best part is they add some kind of thickener to it... really "hangs" onto whatever you spray it on.
This stuff is great. Too expensive for the bilge for me..