Bilge heaters vs. Ice Eaters for my 33 Grady Express

Sundancejoel

Reaction score
I decided to store my Grady Express "SUNDANCE" at my marina for the winter. It was fully winterized but now I'm wondering if I should protect the under the hull fittings, i.e. intake fittings for my air/heater, and other intake fittings. I'm torn between Ice Eaters and Bilge Heaters. I'm looking for suggestions. Anyone out there have experience with this issue?

SUNDANCEJOEL

GreatWhite23

Reaction score
I have been thinking it would be a good idea in the cabin, to keep it dryer inside. Going from freezing temps to nonfreezing temps can cause alot of condensation in the interior of a boat thus mold smell. I would always winterize, anything electrical can fail.

georgemjr

Reaction score
Since it is winterized, an inside heater shouldn't be necessary, as there isn't anything to freeze inside. The water surrounding the boat might freeze up, requiring an ice eater to prevent, but the water underneath the boat, where the thru-hulls are should be deep enough that it will not freeze (or at least I haven't seen that much ice here on Long Island). That being said, keeping the cabin a little warmer can never hurt. I climb into my cabin throughout the winter and do find the moisture mentioned during temperature changes. A friend has used a droplight in his bilge, as it gives off enough heat (regular bulb) to keep the bilge just above freezing. Remember the bottom of the boat is in water that is above 32 degrees.