Bilge High Water Alarm?

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Real important if you overnight at sea. I put ours (330) in the cabin bilge about 6" above the low point. We never (normally) have water that high. It is loud, easy to test, and easy to install. There are many types and prices. I opted for a electronic sensor versus a float switch. Don't remember the model/brand.

Reactions: A&J Outdoors

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Basically, it is a float switch which triggers a light, and/or an alarm, instead of a pump. If you don’t already have a secondary bilge pump, it would be a good idea to install one, and include the alarm in that circuitry. If the secondary pump has a built-in float switch, you might want to install it a couple of inches higher than the primary, if the float switch is separate, install the float switch a couple of inches higher.
It is a good idea to have a light, or an alarm, on all of your pumps, in case your primary is running constantly, or frequently, due to a small leak. If you are at the helm for an extended period, like running to an offshore spot, you might not notice the bilge pump discharging aft, and that small leak could turn into a flood.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The install is about as easy as easy gets. It's the simplest type of circuit - basically just an on/off switch. The alarm/buzzer can be put just about anywhere - but behind the dash would be ideal. Ideally, you want this to be a different sound than your Yamaha alarm sound. I would recommend a (easily noticeable) red light be installed in the dash, as well. That was there's an auditory and visual alarm. That is also very easy - it simply gets wired in parallel with the buzzer.

Where you place the sensor is of course up to you. As long as the tube from the aft bilge to the cabin bilge doesn't get clogged up, the cabin bilge would be fine. Otherwise, the aft bilge might be the safer choice since that's also where water would first enter.

If your main concern is when at anchor, then everything (including the buzzer) could be installed in the cabin.

Like your standard bilge pump, the high water bilge pump should have constant power -- either direct to a battery or at the line side of the battery switch.

However, when operating the boat, the aft bilge will fill first due to the boat's running attitude. But at anchor, the cabin bilge will likely fill first and I'm sure this was Bill's line of thinking. You certainly could install two of them if you wanted.

4", give or take, above the standard float switch is about right. You don't want it too close - but you don't want it too high, either. As noted above... if you decide to also install a high-water bilge pump... install the pump as low as possible.

Reactions: Halfhitch

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
GW bilges are generally pretty dry. I wouldn't mount too high - 3" or so aft compartment. If you place it too high and are having water coming in you want as much warning as possible before you have too much water in the bilge.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I installed the one Halfhitch identified. Real easy install.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I can see where there are times when you want to turn the alarm off, but I would prefer to have the light be independent of the switch, in case I forgot to turn it back on. Does the bar below the larger round lens light up to indicate that the system is armed?

A&J Outdoors

Reaction score
Website
www.outdoorslivecrew.com
Model
Sailfish

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
LOL that is the exact one I'm looking at, found it on Amazon. I think I would like to alarm panels, one at the helm and one in the cabin. Thanks guys for all the help!
Search for "piezo buzzer" on Amazon. There will be lots of choices for a secondary alarm - especially if you want to keep it simple. Just wire whatever you choose in parallel with the main one. You could actually just get a REALLY simple buzzer and install it somewhere out of the way.

However, I'm willing to bet you can easily hear the dash alarm while still in the cabin. Try this... go down in the cabin and have someone turn the ignition on (not "start"). Can you hear the engine alarm "test sound" in the cabin? If so, then you'll be able to hear the high water alarm, too.

A&J Outdoors

Reaction score
Website
www.outdoorslivecrew.com
Model
Sailfish
Search for "piezo buzzer" on Amazon. There will be lots of choices for a secondary alarm - especially if you want to keep it simple. Just wire whatever you choose in parallel with the main one. You could actually just get a REALLY simple buzzer and install it somewhere out of the way.

However, I'm willing to bet you can easily hear the dash alarm while still in the cabin. Try this... go down in the cabin and have someone turn the ignition on (not "start"). Can you hear the engine alarm "test sound" in the cabin? If so, then you'll be able to hear the high water alarm, too.
Good point, my concern is being asleep in the cabin, alarm at the helm might not be loud enough to wake me up. It is simple to wire, so I think I'll go with two alarms, with sensor in both the forward bilge and aft bilge.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Good point, my concern is being asleep in the cabin, alarm at the helm might not be loud enough to wake me up. It is simple to wire, so I think I'll go with two alarms, with sensor in both the forward bilge and aft bilge.
I'm betting that at night, when it's nice a quiet, you'll hear it easily and it'd wake you up. But it certainly can't hurt to do what you're planning, either!

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I'm not a fan of the piezo alarms. Hard to tell where they are coming from. Not loud enough. They use them because they are low current. I want something that is no mistaking "YOU ARE IN TROUBLE". Probably a bell with a relay to handle the current.

I do not have one installed in my boat today but plan to install one thins winter.

Flot

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I just wired a rule mechanical float switch (fused) attached to a marine horn mounted inside the hull. Much simpler, easy to test, and no worries about someone accidentally shutting it off. If I HAVE to shut it off, I can just pull the fuse.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I installed the Johnson Pump model years ago and it is very loud. Mounted it to my helm area. Pretty sure I would hear it if sleeping in the berth. I have had to replace it once when I tested it and it was not sensing. The sensor has to stay clean also and you should check it periodically. For my case to test it, I put in the plug, raise the trailer tongue as high as it will go and run water into the bilge until the alarm sounds.

Fixit

Reaction score
Model
Islander
2-3" height is the recommended measurement for the high water alarm. I bet that's easily 150 gallons of water in my 270 before the alarm will sound. having it 4 or even 6" gives you far less time to react to a problem. because at this point either my front and rear bilge (1500 GPH/1700 GPH) are both broken, or they can't keep up with the ingress of water
if there's two inches of water in my bilge there is a problem and I want to know about it asap!!!
my high water float switch activates an alarm with light (rule) as well as a 2000gph pump

Bg56126

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I've been looking at adding one (maybe two) as well and my biggest two concerns is that I'd like to be able to test it and I'd like one that is aesthetically appealing (just redid my electronics!). I haven't found exactly what I'm looking for just yet but did see this from New Wire recently.

Here is the old thread I had started on the same/similar topic: