bilge plug replacement

jbukie

Reaction score
Alright, i've got some water coming into the bilge. Very slowly and i think i've narrowed it down to the bilge plug. The boat is a 2003 so i'm thinking i probably don't need to replace the entire fitting.

Has anybody had a problem with their bilge plug fitting in a boat that's only 5 years old? Should i be considering replacing it?

Also the boat is in the water and i don't have a trailer, is there a way to fix the problem without having to haul the boat. Can i plug it from the inside with a rubber plug? What about just hopping in the water with a wrench and tightening the bilge plug?

catch22

Reaction score
Hard to imagine a bad drain plug on a 5 year old boat, unless it got cross threaded or gummed up with debri. It's a good idea though to have some spares. You can pick them up at any boat store, or even Walmart. They're bronze or brass 1/2" npt.

You could try getting in the water and tightening the plug. The only problem with that is, again, I'd want to make sure it wasn't cross threaded or gummed up. Give it a shot, you should be able to tell just by turning it. If it was lose to begin with, you might be ok.

They do have different size's of rubber expansion plugs for drains, 1/2, 3/4, etc. They're made for a smooth drain, but they might work. If you get the threaded plug on the outside tight, you shouldn't need it. I would think it would be pretty difficult to reach your bilge drain from the inside anyway.

Are you certain that's where the water is coming from? I've slipped many boats and just about every one got some water in the bilge over time. Rain water can find it's way in from anchor compartments, cabin windows, bow rails, bad deck seams, etc. This might sound crazy, but you could dab your finger in the bilge water, (if it's not too nasty looking) and taste it for salt.

Do you have a thru hull pick up, with a seacok for a washdown/livewell? If you do, this is one of the most comon places to develop a leak, so you might want to check that out. Some water pick ups have 4 small bolts or screws securing it to the hull, as well as the threaded stem, (with nut) on the thru hull itself. The valve is threaded onto the stem. Then there's a hose adapter threaded onto the valve. From there it goes to the pump and then to a "Y" valve... more fitiings and clamps. Ever notice if your washdown runs, (cycles) even when the hose nozzle is off/closed?

How about the hoses that connect your deck drains to the scuppers... are the clamps tight? Check any low lying thru hull drain fittings too.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Bronze, brass is a no no.

Water can find it's way in many ways (anchor locker, cup holders, access panel seams,...).

jbukie

Reaction score
Thanks guys. It is definitely not rain water and it is not coming from above deck. I hand pumped and sponged it dry and water comes back. I have two thru hull pick ups and a thru hull transducer. However, I spent an hour and a half drying the bilge and watching/feeling around and the thru hulls don't seem to be the source. The scupper hoses are all dry and secure as well.

After drying the bilge if i put my hand back where the bilge drains out of the transom i can feel some wetness again which is why i think it is the bilge plug. But again, on a 5 year old boat i would not expect a problem with the bilge plug.

Banana River View

Reaction score
Are you talking about the drain plug that is on the transom of the boat? If you think it is loose, just get in the water and try to tighten with a wrench. On boats that are trailered these plugs are removed everytime a boat is hauled from the water and guess what, water drains out most every time.

I have owned boats for over 30 years and there is always some small amount of water collected in the bilge. Water gets in in many places. Keep an eye on it and guage it to see if it continues to rise then worry about a leak.

Always check you thru hulls, especially your underwater connections for leaks. Always exercise the shut off valves regularly to keep the free from coroding open. Ensure your bilge pumps are working.

You could also replace your drain while in the water. I don't think too much water would get in the boat thru what a 3/4" hole, before the new drain plug was installed. I would have some wood plugs with me to plug the hole should there be a mishap (drop the drain plug) when you replace the drain but this is pretty straigh forward. Call GW to see what size and if the plug is brass or bronze, you do not want to use disimilar metals.

Good luck.. BRV