Bilge pump discharge routing?

Ridge Runner

Reaction score
2004 282 Sailfish: The rear bilge pump discharge hose seems stiff and brittle, so going to replace it while I have the pump out...
I am contemplating replacing the hoses on both the foreward bilge pump and the shower sump.
Has anyone done this?
Any photos or sketches on how they are routed, or how to access the backs of the thru-hulls?
Best online source for the hoses?
Other tips?
Thanks!

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I believe the shower sump pumps to the forward bilge if I'm not mistaken, it doesn't pump out directly.
I did the forward bilge, a couple of years ago and it was a major pain but doable. The hose on my 2001 ran diangle to under the the aft facing portion(near toilet) of the floor to the starboard side, and exited behind the starboard access panel in the aft bunk area. In the forward bilge area you will need to remove the entire floor panel not just the round deck plate to gain access. You should be able to download the manual from Grady white.

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
This is for a 2005 but I think 2002 and on is the same

Attachments

• 2005-282.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 13

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
2004 282 Sailfish: The rear bilge pump discharge hose seems stiff and brittle, so going to replace it while I have the pump out...
I am contemplating replacing the hoses on both the foreward bilge pump and the shower sump.
Has anyone done this?
Any photos or sketches on how they are routed, or how to access the backs of the thru-hulls?
Best online source for the hoses?
Other tips?
Thanks!

On my '02 the aft pump heads to the port side, thru hull access looks to be combo of removing that sink and/or the selector switch panel. My hose is in great shape so I'm not removing any time soon, but that looks to be the method.

Ridge Runner

Reaction score
I believe the shower sump pumps to the forward bilge if I'm not mistaken, it doesn't pump out directly.
I did the forward bilge, a couple of years ago and it was a major pain but doable. The hose on my 2001 ran diangle to under the the aft facing portion(near toilet) of the floor to the starboard side, and exited behind the starboard access panel in the aft bunk area. In the forward bilge area you will need to remove the entire floor panel not just the round deck plate to gain access. You should be able to download the manual from Grady white.
Got it done, just like you said. The hardest part was routing the new hose. It is curved from being in the box, so had to use heat to straighten it out and push it back in there. Accessing the thru-hull was the easy part.

Attachments

• 0315221859.jpg
    0315221859.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16
  • 0315221857.jpg
    0315221857.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
Reactions: mleads310

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Glad to see you got it done! Honestly until you dive into it, you're not sure what to expect. But now that it's done you'll have added one more thing to what you can do.

If possible try to get another clamp on that hose....both ends pump side and thru Hull. Always good to have for added safety!

Ridge Runner

Reaction score
Glad to see you got it done! Honestly until you dive into it, you're not sure what to expect. But now that it's done you'll have added one more thing to what you can do.

If possible try to get another clamp on that hose....both ends pump side and thru Hull. Always good to have for added safety!
I have double-clamps on all the thru-hulls/petcocks below the water line. Does everyone use doubles above the water line as well? G-W did not use doubles on them, nor the scuppers (I ordered new clamps to double-clamp those).

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Not sure about everyone else, but I've just got into the habit of using double clamps over the past few years. I feel like if it's drilled into my brain to double the clamps regardless of location, then I won't be tempted to "cheat" when doing a repair in a tight spot.

seasick

Reaction score
Not sure about everyone else, but I've just got into the habit of using double clamps over the past few years. I feel like if it's drilled into my brain to double the clamps regardless of location, then I won't be tempted to "cheat" when doing a repair in a tight spot.
In general, you don't need double clamps for fittings above the water line and where the hoses are properly supported. The theory is that if the hose comes off, it wont cause sea water to flow ( as when siphoning). That said, doing double everywhere is OK as long as the fitting that the hose is connected to has enough length to property support two clamps..

Reactions: Ridge Runner