Bilge pump float switch 33 Canyon

Dhirsh

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 336
I’ve changed dozens of float switches in boats over the years but this one kicked my butt. 336 has a water tank with a v notch in it at the transom for “access” . The bilge pump and switch is at the bottom aft ( about 2.5’ down) and partially beneath the shelf that holds the water tank. You need a Phillips screwdriver at about half the length of a regular and a little taller than a stubble to get to the forward mounting screw. And you need an arm as long as an orangutan , and you might as well be blindfolded, because you have to do the entire project thru an 8” Pie eye in the splash well while your face is firmly planted against the center step in the 336 splashwell, contorted with your arm up to your armpit. Only saving grace is the wring is high and loose with quick connectors so you can do that on deck. Obviously there was just barely enough room, but I would bet your dealer will charge you 5 hours labor for this one. Took me about two with the patience of Jobe. I think I cracked a rib changing out a bad thru hull/sea cock but thats a story for when I actually finish. LOL

seasick

Reaction score
My boats are similar with respect to pump and float access. Access to sea cocks is a challenge too. These days when I look at newer boats, after the first quick assessment of the above deck layout, I spend time under the deck to see how hard or not so hard it is to access components. At my age I just can't do the same contortions.

Reactions: Dhirsh