Bilge Pump Hose

Pete1313

Reaction score
Curious what recommendations are for replacing bilge pump hose. The hose I just pulled out of my Voyager for the aft bilge pump was the usual teleflex stuff that Grady puts in - think its called "bilgevac" - has that spiral reinforcement on it.

anyhow - that stuff just split so easily when we took it out.....

I bought some of the white waste hose (1 1/8 ID) to use instead...but then just read here a short comment where someone said "Don't use that"

Why not? It seems much more durable than the "bilge pump hose" stuff and it cost more :)

Anyhow - I'd like to have a bilge pump hose that will last and won't split as easily as the stuff that was in there?

Ideas? Thoughts?

Thanks,

pete

Pete1313

Reaction score
Well, I figured it out....the stuff I bought that I thought was for waste is actually a high grade bilge hose:

Vac Extra Heavy Duty/FDA - Series 148 -

This stuff is way more sturdy than the stock bilge hose Grady puts in...The Teleflex site says this is excellent for bilge pump applications:

"Shields Vac Extra Heavy Duty/FDA Hose has a smooth white FDA grade PVC with vinyl helix. It is rated for full vacuum and is resistant to mild chemicals, permeation, and saltwater. This hose is primarily used for bilge pump intake and discharge, drains (sinks, shower, and scupper), livewell intake and drain, potable water tank fill, and sanitation (toilet to holding tank, intake, self draining lines vent and pump out). This hose is resistant to odor permeation. Do not use glycol based antifreeze in hose. Do not use in pressurized water systems."