Bilge Pump Question

mad dog

Reaction score
Hello. I am new to the forum, and have had my GW for about 2 years.

I am looking to replace my current bilge pump on my 2002 Adventure. I believe the current pump is original equipment and has broken loose from its mounting (probably due to vibration or freezing over the years). I have tried repairing it but it recirculates more water in the bilge than it pumps out! The current pump is an Atwood, and my local GW dealer suggested replacing it with a Rule 1500. Has anyone had any experience with this, and would you recommend it as a replacement? Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

catch22

Reaction score
Imo this is a very good pump - http://www.rule-industries.com/products ... /index.htm
Scroll down to bottom of page - RM1500. It's the larger, oval model.

Fully automatic... has a "self contained" float switch.

I installed one a few years ago. Works great.

Don't know about your 02, but Grady use to glass in a piece of plywood in the bilge, for mounting the pump and float switch. Since your original pump broke free... you might want to make sure, (if it's plywood) that it isn't water-logged, or breaking free from the bottom of the hull. At the very least, seal up the screw holes from the original pump.

mad dog

Reaction score
Catch 22, thanks for the advice. I will look into the pump you suggested. I don't think my bilge has the plywood you mentioned, but I am going to double check now.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Check the specs, you may be able to pop up a size or two. Nice to have the biggest you can get IMHO if not two.....

seasick

Reaction score
That boat was originally equipped with an 1100 gph bilge pump. Grady usesRule pumps in the current 208s but I don't know what the 2002 model year used. Before you go with the 1500, check the hose size to see if it is adequate for the increased flow rate. If it is small, you won't gain much but it is probably OK, the run length is fairly short.

mad dog

Reaction score
The hose size on my current pump is 1 1/8", which is the same as the Rule 1500. So it should be no problem to switch them out. The pump Catch22 recommended has an integrated float switch, but Rule also makes a 1500 that I think is compatible with my current pump and float switch.

Thanks for the suggestions. First time tfor me o switch anything out on my 208.

SilverLining

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Just last week replaced the original aft 1500 gph in my 2000 272 Sailfish. Chose to use the 2000 gph as the replacement. Same footprint as the 1500, although higher amperage draw. Changed the fuse for the float switch to 15 amp from the original 7.5 amp. Same hose, float switch, etc. The 2000 was about $18 more than the 1500.