Bilge pump replacement???

Oh Kay II

Reaction score
This is my first posting here...sorry its with a problem...I have a 1987 24 Offshore with Grady Bracket...in aft bilge there is a 2700 rule bilge and float switch and they are not working and needs to be changed out. This is one tight space.. is there a trick to change these out???you have to go in through the battery compartment??.. anyone familiar with this model Grady? Am I looking at this right? Your input and help greatly apprciated.. :(

richie rich

Reaction score
not sure if it matters which boat type, but most bilge pumps are installed by first screwing in the mesh or plastic base with a couple of self tapping screws and the popping in the pump itself into the base and then connecting the wire. So you need to go in reverse...disconnect the wire, pop the pump off its base and then unscrew and remove the plastic bracket. You can reuse the old bracket at times but from my experience the plastic gets weak and cracks easily over time, so I'd use the new one that comes with the pump. Use 4200 adhesive in the screw holes to keep water out of the hull plate. The switch should attach in a similar manner.....make sure the switch wire and pump wire are attached correctly so that you have both automatic and manual pumping capabilities.