Bilge pump

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a '93 Gulfstream which I bought 11 months ago. The former owner replaced the forward bilge pump as part of the sale. This past March, when I was checking everything out in preparation for the season, I found the pump was not working. After checking everything I could think of, I pulled the pump out of the boat and bench tested it. The motor is dead. This is a Rule 1100 GPH electronic sensing automatic pump. When I read the specs on this pump, I learned it cycles on every 2 1/2 minutes to see if any water is present then cycles off. Most of the time, my boat sits on a lift with a significant fall toward the stern. No way any water can collect around this bilge pump. This constant cycling can't be good for the pump when it's dry 99% of the time. I'm thinking about replacing this pump with one that has a built-in (automatic) float swith or even one with an external float switch. What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Gary

Reaction score
You are right. That pump is designed for a leaky wooden boat. A pump with a float would the best one for that situation as the forward one is just really a back up anyway. You should aready have 3 wires to the foward pump with an auto position, off, and on position on your forward bilge pump switch so hooking a float switch pump is easy. This is also true for the aft pump.

el jefe

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
If you buy the auto pump and are asleep at the anchor, you will hear bzzzzzzzzzzzzz every 2 1/2 minutes. Could be pretty annoying.