Bilge pump

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
So, not at home atm or I would look, just curious if anyone has an idea of what the 2004 Islander uses as a bilge pump. I was going to order one, just in case, as a backup.

Forgot to look at it before I left the house this morning :p

A link to a good replacement pump would be nice, if you know of one.

Thank you!

Russ

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Looks like they do not make the 1250, and the 1700 appears to be the Tsunami now. V-series is discontinued.

Will get home and take a picture of the pumps to get a footprint idea.

R

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I went with a Rule 2000 since I couldn't find a 1250. Also installed a new Sure Bail float switch.

rule-bilge-pump-r09-gold-2000_L.jpg

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Holy cow, 167 bucks.. heh... are they that much better than the other ones? I thought the things were like 30 bucks. Hrm, if that is the case, I will wait and make sure I need one. Don't mind an upgrade, but don't need 200 bucks worth of pump sitting there letting the warranty go out heh

BUT.. that gives me a good budget point... thanks!

R

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I get that.. heh.. this is my 6th boat lol.. but I was looking at the Attwods, since that is what it came with, so...the price kinda threw me off.. but, if it is a better quality, then that is what I am more interested, just do not want to spend that sort of money till I need it as I have a tendency to get something.. it sits.. and when I need it, it does not work and then....no warranty.

$30.. not a huge deal.. $200.. yea.. wait.. maybe get a $30 emergency backup, and if I need it, replace it with the better one when I get back home, and the $30 remains the backup. Will think about that option.

R

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
A better setup would be a 800 and a 2000. Mount the 800 float about flat to the hull bottom and the 2000 on a 3/4"-1" pad. Only having 1 pump aft on a boat will always be a bad idea. The 800 will take most of the abuse and if any volume came in the 2000 kicks on. Flush the pumps with fresh water when you do your motor. The Rule pumps are not what they once were. Check the hoses for correct type and make sure you have double clamps.

seasick

Reaction score
I understand your approach about dual pumps but there are a few things to weigh in. I don't really see the need for the second pump to be much larger capacity assuming it's float is mounted higher. It is there to take over if the lower pump fails. That assumes the lower pump can keep up with the usual bilge water volume and if so, the secondone a same size should do.
Secondly, the more parts the more failures. Two pumps will in theory have twice as many failures over time as one. That's not a big deal if you routinely check both pumps to see that they work.Of course installing a second pump can be a chore when considering the needed plumbing and wiring (sharing the existing wiring is not a good idea since a failure that pops the breaker will also cause the backup pump to be useless
Finally, even a fairly small hole in the hull ( or a broken off fitting on a sea cock will fill the bilge in a hurry and those pumps wouldn't be able to handle the flow.

This issue reminds me of the conundrum of why humans have two lungs, kidneys, ears, eyes etc but only one pump:)

Reactions: RussGW270

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
The larger capacity pump is mounted very far aft. It almost never runs, unless you are really flushing the bilges, or you use a trailer and the water runs aft when you lift the bow.

The smaller pump is under the cabin sole, sort of accessible through the pie-plate at the aft end of that deck. That is actually the lowest point in the bilge when the boat is "on her lines" and it will run far more often.

Both have float switches, and separate switches at the helm.

In 17 years, the aft one was still OEM and working fine. I replaced the forward one about five years ago.

Fishtales

Reaction score
The Attwood Tsunami series is a good alternative if you have a tight area.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Thanks folks. I am going to see what pumps and what does not pump Saturday when I throw a hose in the boat lol... If something needs to be replaced, I would rather go for quality, just thought they were about 30-50 bucks.. the $200+ ones threw me off lol.... but, I guess in the event ya need a pump, well, you better have a good one :)

R

Fishtales

Reaction score
They swap out real easy. I'd get one that fits the current wiring capacity, outlet hose diameter and mounting location. Keep it easy and simple.

Reactions: Zebulon

bac0701

Reaction score
I bought the same pump for a spare in my rig. Also an alarm. If your spending time down there I’d put one in.

Fishtales

Reaction score
did the same with a high water alarm. cheap piece of mind.

Shannon C.

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
did the same with a high water alarm. cheap piece of mind.
Hey fellas, just wondering. On the 30 marlin does the water off the anchor line drain into the sump pump area? I thought it drained into the bilge. I’ve got water sitting in the sump tray, any thoughts on that?

Fishtales

Reaction score
I believe it is into the bilge. The only thing that goes to my sump are the drains for the shower. The box has a tube that spins that has a bunch of small holes for drainage to catch any hair or crap from the head sole (I believe from showering).