Bilge water in a 208

2ndChance

Reaction score
Hey all,

I had my 1993 208 adventure on the trailer yesterday, and I parked on a hill just to see if any water would come out of the bilge with the plug out. On a level surface, no water comes out of the bilge, but wouldn't you know it, on the incline, several gallons of water came out. So, I'm wondering, did it come from a forward compartment?

The hull has been well maintained, having been kept on a trailer for its whole life before I got it (it’s now slipped). No obvious places for water to enter the hull. It was salt water that came out, and I have the boat slipped on a fresh water river that leads to the ocean. I’ve had her out on a few rough days, with salt water hitting the windshield. Never stuffed the bow though. There is no water in the cabin, so I can’t figure it out. I check the bilge often while out on the water, and it’s always dry.

Joe

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
The low spot in our bilge is somewhere forward of the rear compartment as well, under the fuel tank or water tank. I've never figured out exactly where. I just pull the plug at the top of the ramp to drain.

Water can get into the bilge from a few places, including the anchor locker, the under gunwale rod holders, and the aft seats.

Also, we had a problem with one of the factory livewell hose fittings was dripping. We figured it out because we'd always have a gallon or two of water in the bilge after running the livewell pump all day long. Had to remove the tackle drawers and frame underneath the passenger helm seat to get at the connection.

2ndChance

Reaction score
interesting. I'll run the boat without the livewell going and see if I get any bilge water once I pull the boat out. The fact that it was saltwater that came out tells me that it didn't happen on the river.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Do you use the washdown on the water? Have you ever replaced the seals on the inspection hatches in the deck, this is typically the most common location for water to seep into the hull on a well maintained boat, the anchor locker being the second most likely spot. The inspection hatch seals are fairly cheap and easy to replace, they need to be replaced every other year, and if opened a lot, like to access a sea cock or something else on a fairly regular basis, those need to be replaced every year. Most guys over look this thinking they seal well, but they do not, over time the seal gets worse and worse and water will seep in. As stated, many boats have a low point somewhere betwene the forward 1/3 and middle of the boat so water will sit there and not show at the dock, but will come out when at the ramp. I like to come out of my marina and plow a little and turn the aft pump on to see if water comes out, this usually does the trick if any accumulated, I do not do it every trip but do it maybe once every other week at a min just to keep any water from really sitting in the hull, although my boat gets very little water in it at all...knock on wood.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
When you drop the hammer to accelerate, and the bow lifts and stern drops, does the rear bilge pump come on auto - see water coming out of thru hull ?

This is the same as you doing the park-on- incline routine.

The entire keel line is the bilge in your boat, all interconected, so it has to drain back to stern to be pumped out, or drain out via drain plug.

Water including rain water, water from wet anchor line, wash up, etc, readily enters bilge locker which drains to bilge = perfectly normal.

It is perfectly normal to have a wet bilge, however, leaks in thru hulls, bad hoses, below water line fittings will be excessive causing pump to run often You can get one a device to see how long pump is running while you are not at dock if you use marina.

if you only drain the bilge on the trailer, put a bucket under there to measure and monitor water quantity each trip. "Several gallons" is not likely from visual eyeballing only.

Reactions: Cgbum

2ndChance

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I will replace the inspection hatch seals first to see what we get.

I've never noticed the bilge pumps come on, however, I got into rough seas a few weeks back on the way home from an extended weekend, and it's possible the pumps came on. One interesting thing - I don't think it’s rainwater or through hull fittings since the boat has been in a freshwater slip for most of the summer and the water that came out was salt. I did use the raw water wash down just before this happened, so I'm thinking I need to check the live well/wash down plumbing.

Thanks again.

Joe