Bimini 306 Repower-install question

Reaction score
So we are re-powering our GW Bimini 306 and going from Yamaha twin 250HPDI's to Yamaha F300's. Can anyone let me know if we can use the same distance between each engine or do we need to go wider. the F300's are about 3" wider then the 250's and would suppose we need to be wider. If anyone has the mounting dimensions that would be even better.

Thanks

DJ

bjflink

Reaction score
We re-powered our 306 with 4.2L F250's a few years back. I believe they are the exact same size as the F300's. We did not re-drill and used the existing holes instead. Our local dealer, Pompano Beach Marine Center (Big Grady dealer) said that they never re-drill for the re-power and always use the old holes. That said, I can speak from personal experience and say that it is never a problem, BUT, if you try and raise one of the engines up out of the water with the other down WITH the engines turned more than 15-20 degrees or so, the bottom inside edge of the cowling will rub...not bad, but it will rub. Since this isnt something you would ever commonly do, it is never a problem for us and wasn't worth re-drilling. Raising both engines up at the same time at any steering angle does not result in rubbing.

I would also say though, that if you did re-drill, you might get slightttlllly better close quarter maneuvering while backing/twisting around. I also notice that I am always making constant slow speed (1300 rpms or less) steering adjustments as the boat doesnt seem to hold a straight line well at those speeds. Not sure if that is a product of engine spacing (I do have counter rotating props), or just a general characteristic of the 306 hull design. On plane, the boat holds a straight line perfectly, in almost any sea condition.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The F300 spec says that they are 25" wide and the 250's that we have are 22" wide. I would like to use the same holes. I don't know if spacing them another 3" - 6" apart wold help that much with the slow maneuvering, would like to get some feedback on that. The boat now goes dead straight either at a no wake speed, trolling speed or up on plane. I think most of that has to do with adjusting the gains for different speeds as we are running.

bjflink

Reaction score
My F250 4.2L are also 25" wide. They are mechanically the same engine as the F300 aside from differences in the ECM. Same physical dimensions.