Bimini 306 Trailer

Reaction score
Hello,

We just picked up our first Grady White and looking forward to owning the best boat ever made. We need a trailer and was looking into a Venture and wanted to know what weight class trailer will be enough and then some, We don't mind overkill and have to trust the trailer. Is a 15,000# or an 18,000# enough? Our last boat, which was a ProKat 2800cc was on bunks. It was our first bunk and we didn't seem to have any issues with launching or pulling the boat out of the water. Can anyone give me some input on what they like? Bunk vs roller?

Thank you

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Not sure of the weight of a 306. (Marlin Hull, I think.) I'm guessing that gross weight w/trailer scales under 15k.

Good idea. Overkill is smart 100% of the time.

1.)Rollers are best only when you are launching/loading at a particularly steep ramp where you have to sink the truck to submerge the trailer enough to winch it on. Rollers are certainly handy when winching the boat up at a steep angle. Bunks are the best choice for any other scenario, especially with a big rig like yours. If bunks worked with your ProKat and you'll be using the same ramps, they'll work with your Grady.

2.) Speaking of winching, get a Dutton 2-speed winch. You'll be really happy when you engage the higher gear that lets you winch it with much less effort. Sort of like a 10-speed bike going up a hill. Downshift and you'll pedal more, but each revolution is easier.

3.) Electric over hydraulic brakes. I've heard from many that it's the best braking system to have when you really have to stop the beast.

4.)A flush kit for your axles is a helpful add-on. It'll get all the salt/gunk out of your wheels, etc. Works with a garden hose attachment, like flushing your outboard.

5.) Get a close,(or exact) weight estimate for your total rig,(boat & trailer.) Then beef the trailer up at least 2000K more for a cushion. Spec it too close to the weight of the boat/trailer and you'll blow bearings prematurely, and possibly overstress the frame, welds, tires, you name it. DO NOT let a trailer guy and/or salesman talk you into a trailer that is not overkill. They do that as a selling ploy to make the price more attractive. Trust me, I've found out the hard way. (I have a 232 Gulfstream and my trailer is 14000k,2- 7000lb axles. Boat & trailer weigh 10,100 lbs and it pulls like a dream. This concept is especially important if you plan to tow a lot.

I'll bet that 306 is awesome. What a machine you'll have! Luck to 'ya.

toybox1

Reaction score
I am shopping for the same thing , I have read a bunch on THT on trailers and if you plan on a lot of short trips I am sure a production trailer would be fine . In my case I plan on trailering from Md to OBX and to FL I am going to bite the bullet and get a semi custom trailer from OWENS AND SON or Ameri trail they cost between .77 to 1.25 $ per pound of rated load . I am looking at 15 K rated all SS hardware and electric over hydro . Also SS break calipers . 10,500.00 quoted just wanted to pass on my findings . Share some info on you 306 . I am looking at 2 different ones both are 2008 , one with 250 and one with 350 . What did you get and what power ?

Reaction score
We picked up an 03 with less then 300 hours. It has been in dry dock for 2 years and was kept in really good shape. While it sits covered for another 2 months we will take the time and go through the Yamaha 250 HPDI 2 strokes. Installing all new filters, T-stats, poppet valves, rebuilding both lower units including water pumps, pulled all the injectors and sending them out to be tested and cleaned. Our last boat that we bought also sat for 2 years and although it ran good we found out over time that the gas that sat into engine caused a bunch of problems. We chased them most of the season last year so thats why we are going overboard with making sure it's ready. Aside from going through the outboards we need to do some software updates on the electronics, power wash, buff and wax and we are good.

I think we are leaning towards a bunk trailer also and heard a lot of good things about the Owen & Sons. Its crazy how some people will spend a so much money on a boat with the best equipment and go cheap when buying a trailer.

go fish

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Call starling marine in nc for a great price on Ameratrail. Ask for Donnie. 252-247-6667.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm on my 4th Owens trailer....good people to deal with who stand behind their product and still build them on a handshake.

Congrats on the new rig.