Bimini Bracket Frozen on Adventure 208

langski93

Reaction score
There is a small steel bracket that receives a knurled screw to allow the Bimini frame to pivot and fold/unfold fore and aft, mounted on the both sides of the cabin. The screw sheared off the port side and left the threaded remainder in the bracket. I am not sure I can drill out the piece, so I thought I would remove the bracket itself. An additional problem I discovered is the bracket is held by two Philips screws, which are spinning like they are stripped and do not back out. I even pulled on the bracket while turning the screws thinking I would get some lift from the bracket. No luck. Does anyone know if the bracket is also glued in place in addition to being screwed ? Any theories and ideas to remove? I don't want to mangle the boat trying to get off a small stubborn piece. I would rather live without the Bimini. Many thanks.

langski93

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Get a small 'easy-out', drill the bracket screws and remove. Unless the brackets are stainless (zamac is about worthless, nylon is pretty weak), that's what I would replace with. That, and some preventive maintenance ... :wink:

seasick

Reaction score
The brackets are not glued to my knowledge but may have corroded in place a bit and become stuck. This is especially true if the frame is aluminum. Drilling out the broken screw is often fairly difficult but maybe will work. One trick if you can do it is to cut a slot in the top shaft of the screw using a dremel tool with an abrasive wheel. That slot could allow a screwdriver to work. Of course, you can saw off the old bracket with the abrasive wheel or a similar cutting wheel or grinder and replace it. If getting the broken screw out doesn't work, I would drill out the set screws as a next step. That probably will ruin the fitting but at least it might make you able to get the fitting off.