Bimini form Great Lakes

reelbeliever

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I got a 2006 Journey 258 back in June, really love the boat. It has what I call a Florida Bimini that is mounted to the stainless railing. Very nice in warm weather, worked out much better than I thought it would.

However, I'm in New Jersey, and now that it is growing colder I'm thinking about a Bimini helm enclosure. I have to go under under three bridges to get to the ocean so I'm not comfortable with a hard top. Local canvas shops are giving me pretty high quotes, I just got one for $3,400. On top of that he said something about making it in seven pieces, which didn't make any sense to me.

So, I'm thinking about using Great Lakes, which I saw in the FAQ. They supposedly are the OEM for the GW soft tops. Even with shipping their prices are reasonable. It's something like $1500 for top and three sides, and another $350 or so for the aft curtain. I might leave the aft curtain off, I don't usually put it on. I would have to do the installations myself. I am pretty handy.

Anyone ever use Great Lakes and self install? How did it work out?

Thanks

-rb

cedarholm

Reaction score
Great Lakes makes a quality top.

Are you thinking aluminum or stainless?

Believe it or not, I bought a friend's top from his Whaler and it swapped right over to my GW Escape 209 with minor adjustments.

Pete1313

Reaction score
I have a 1997 voyager. I bought a new after curtain from them. Great company to work with and their prices are WAY cheaper than custom. With custom, you'll get a better and tighter fit, less leaks, but all in all, I am pretty darn happy with the stuff I got from Great Lakes. In fact, I'm probably going to order a new top from them, as the one on my boat is wearing out.....