Bimini top install

tbyrne

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I purchased a new (used ) set of canvas for my boat. It is in great shape, I mounted it over my current Bimini to be sure it fir and it does. Now I have to remove the current old top and put the new top on. It does appear the screws to take the bimini apart are seized a bit and may need to be drilled.

Any recommendations on doing the change-out. I`m trying to avoid buying a new set of poles and hardware, but they have to be removed to slide through the sleeves.

Thanks

T

seasick

Reaction score
Try using something like liquid wrench. Let it soak, apply a few times....
When trying to turn the screws, try tightening also. Sometimes that helps to break the seal. Make sure you have a screwdriver that fits well. Drilling is almost guaranteed to ruin the existing threads at best and maybe the fittings at worst. You can also try an impact screwdrive ( manual kind that you wack with a hammer. You can find them at Home Depot for about 20 bucks.

One thing that I did when I took my bimini apart was to take a few digital pictures of the whole thing from different angles. You will be surprised how many wrong ways you can reassemble the frame and straps.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Save the time and frustration. All the parts can be purchased in nylon, zamack, or stainless, buy new fittings and start drilling. If you happen to get anything loose and intact, return the new ones ... :wink:

tbyrne

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Bimini

Man

You got that right, in fact, I might just buy an all new set of posts. Although I did find all the parts, but the aluminum is showing some wear and the slider clips appear to be seized as well.

I messed with it a little today then came to the same conclusion.

Thanks

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The newer boats have all stainless poles too.
If you have old aluminum poles consider getting new ones.

SCAdventure

Reaction score
Is thered any way to get the old aluminum looking new? When I took my bimini off to get it restitched it was amazing the difference between the exposed and covered metal.