Bimini up or down at the Dock?

Firenailer

Hi All,

I've always just left mine up but looking around the Marina I notice that some folks are folding them up and putting on the boot at the end of the day after tying up. I don't think many guys ever did that before.

What's the proper way When leaving the boat at the Dock - up or stored in the down position?

Thanks

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
If I had one, I would fold it up every time for periods of non-use just to protect it from UV rays, moisture, bird poop, etc. The extended life expectancy would make it worth the effort for me.
If I was heading out the next day, or using it over a weekend, I'd leave it up. Any longer than a day or two, I'd keep it protected.

There are so many different souls that boat, I'm not sure there is a uniform, or proper way.

Fishtales

I'd focus on keeping dirt, debris and bird droppings off the boat to the extent possible. Tend to agree with others about keeping up if using the boat often and only covering for longer periods of time.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
I leave mine up if I'm using the boat over the weekend. Put it away when leaving the boat unattended. A gust of wind can wreak havoc.

SmokyMtnGrady

When I had a soft top and we took the boat for vacations or long weekends places and left it in the water we would leave the top on. Now if I had a soft top and it was in a slip full time, I would only leave it up if I was going to use the boat the next day. Either the top or your deck, seats and so forth will take the UV damage or the top will. I think the boat is more durable than the top.

seasick

For my top, I leave it up unless a: There are strong winds forecast,b: I would be away for a period of time and if the weather reports got nasty, I wouldn't be able to stow the top.
That said, there is a second argument. Would you rather have to scrub and hose off the seagull poop from the Bimini or from whatever surfaces it shields from the poop?:)
As a practical mater, if the Bimini shields things like upholstery from the sun, I would prefer to have it take a beating instead of the vinyl etc.

Firenailer

Seasick, that's the same way I've always thought about it.

In the early season and late Fall I've got the curtains all zipped in so everything stays clean in the cockpit, and once things warm up I use a cockpit cover and stow all of the curtains at home.

I guess folks are concerned about U.V. Damage. I don't think it's as big an issue up here in NY as down south though. I only use the boat 2 or 3 times a week but like you said I'd rather have all of the Sky Rat droppings up there where I can hose them off, than stow a wet, messy Cockpit Cover in the Cuddy when heading out in the early morning.

Hey - the last SunBrella Bimini lasted the 19 years I owned that '96 boat, hopefully this one will too!