Bimini

Grady_Boy

Reaction score
I have an 82 226 seafarer and I was wondering how to go about restoring or replacing the bimini? Can i buy a new one, or do I need to order the canvas and make it myself?

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Grady: Ordering a new bimini is easy - even online. Most important measurement is width but even that is within a range of a couple of inches. Then you need to know the height. Remeber, you can always cut the new one a few inches shorter, but can't easily make it longer. Length is the length of the top from fore to aft. And navy blue sunbrella matches the Grady colors just right.

Most top frames are aluminum, so compare wall thickness. You can go with stainless steel frames but they are quite expensive.

And just about anywhere there are boats, there are top makers who will come measure your boat, make, and then install the top. If you want front and side curtains, this is the way to go as opposed to online purchase.

Or you can simply order from a Grady dealer.

Rob

Grady_Boy

Reaction score
Thank you very much. Although, I was wondering if it is possible to get a hard top for my boat? I really like the rod holders and sturdy construction. Is there a way to upgrade the bimini to that instead?

machinehead

Reaction score
Hard tops are easy as well but, you should find a reputable marine aluminum fabricator. Not sure where you are located but I am sure someone on here is near you and can recommend one. A good experienced fabricator will have done a boat like yours and can offer different plans or ideas. Remember you get what you pay for and skimping on a top could leave you with a unsafe condition. Good luck!

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
New bimini may be three or four hundred, hard top may be three or four thou$and. All depends on what you want to spend on a 28 yo boat. I opted for a fabric on an '86 ... :wink:

Pete1313

Reaction score
I looked into that for my new (to me) voyager....it's actually probably going to be cheaper to buy custom......Grady OEM stuff isn't cheap.

Grady Again

Reaction score
Try this-copied from previous post.
Suppose to be original mfgr. for GW

The supplier is A and J Canvas - here is their contact information

2453 Streets Ferry Rd
Vanceboro, NC , 28586-8350
Phone: 252-244-1509
FAX: 252-244-2508

A and J was great - they even still had the original patterns for my hull number so they could cut exact custom fit replacements. Wow!

mez

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I purchased a sewing machine on ebay and used the original bimini as a pattern. It turned out great and it wasn't hard to do. Saved alot of money. Also copied the full enclosure with new vinyl, zippers and snaps. Just another option.

Bama96

Reaction score
Grady Again said:
Try this-copied from previous post.
Suppose to be original mfgr. for GW

The supplier is A and J Canvas - here is their contact information

2453 Streets Ferry Rd
Vanceboro, NC , 28586-8350
Phone: 252-244-1509
FAX: 252-244-2508

A and J was great - they even still had the original patterns for my hull number so they could cut exact custom fit replacements. Wow!

Do they do the stainless steel frames also? I have a bent forward arm on mine.