Binoculars

Iceman2010

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Looking to get a good pair of marine binoculars.. what do you use or recommend?

Fowl Hooked

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Steiner Predator 8x40. Got them for hunting but they work great on the water as well and are in my carry on boat bag all season. I keep a cheap WM branded pair on the boat as backup or if a kid is on board who wants to be involved, no heartache if they go in the water whereas the Steiners...

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Most 'marine binoculars' are 7 X 50, which is easier to keep an image in view when on a moving boat. When testing, there is no comparison between standing on a showroom floor, and a bouncing boat.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Not sure of the brand a they are tucked away on the boat, but "image stabilizing" binocs are the only way to go in my humble salt water opinion.

SeaVee

Reaction score
Steiner’s have an unbeatable warranty, and they last forever. I have 7x50’s and 8x30’s on the boat. The 8x30’s are a lot lighter , easier on the arms when your using them a lot. The 7x50’s are better on the water, but most won’t notice the difference. They came out with a Police line a few years back, but didn’t sell so well. If you can find them they are made the same as the Marine ones.

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Very pricey, but I highly recommend the stabilized binocs (I have the Fujinon). I find conventional binoculars very hard to use on the water because of all the movement.

Keeldad

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Back when in-person boat shows were still a thing (this time last year) they were selling a Bushnell stabilized monocular at the Costa Sunglass booth at the Atlantic City Boatshow for $99. I was intrigued ( ‘cause I’m cheap), the demo looked good so I figured “what the hell, might be worth a try” and grabbed one. Later on in the show I hook up with my buddy who shows me that he has one as well and he tells me they gave it to him when he bought a new pair of Costas. My wife decided she needed a new pair of sunglasses so now I have 2 of them. All things considered they work pretty well. I keep one on the boat and one in the truck. I wasn’t really expecting too much out of them for the price but I found myself using it more often than my non-stabilized Steiners last year. They’re relatively small, lightweight and if it gets knocked around too much, relatively cheap. Granted they are not $700 stabilized binocs but I was able to discern boat names and buoy numbers last year that I couldn’t with my Steiners

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I don't recall the model number, but I have a pair of Nikon's, probably 10x50, that I bought about 15 years ago. I agree that you don't want to go too large in the mag, but I really haven't had any issues with them holding them still enough. They were close to $300 back then (although by no means is that "top of the scale"!), but man, the optics are absolutely fantastic. I swear objects are brighter when looking through the binocs than when looking with my naked eye! I think they have a 50 year warranty, but I could be mis-remembering.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pighunter

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have Steiner Predator 8x30 that I keep on the boat. Had Nikon 12x50 that were way to much for boat duty, great for solid ground.

Pighunter

Reaction score
Just ordered a pair, I'll post how they are when delivered.
Thanks
Well they came today, first off I guess I read the add wrong? I thought it was a lot of 3 for $99, my mistake. So first impression I like them, very sharp and clear, the true test will be on the water. I'm not sure I would have paid $99 for one?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
So I dug out my 20 year old binoculars that I don't ever use. Still look new. 7 x 50 Tasco Offshore 54 with ranging reticle and compass. Ever since I started needing eye glasses I just can't get both eyes to work binoculars. Look good with left eye shut. Of course, less light and depth perception...

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Skunk, just in case you didn't know this... one of the eye pieces is typically adjustable independent of the main focus to compensate for slightly different vision from eye to the other.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Skunk, just in case you didn't know this... one of the eye pieces is typically adjustable independent of the main focus to compensate for slightly different vision from eye to the other.
they both adjust. I can get each eye perfect. You would think that would do it. Then I get slight double vision. Adjusting out the doublevision so its "one big circle" leaves it slightly out of focus

When I was young I had no problem using binocluars. Used them in the Navy alot.

SoLucky

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm with Trapper, image stabilized is the only way to go. I've owned and used a wide variety of binoculars on the water and have learned that with image stabilization you can quickly pick out details (e.g., nav marker #) -- in a matter of seconds. With non-IS binocs the movement makes it very hard to lock in and discern the details of what you are looking at. My own personal favorites are Canon's IS line -- I have the 10x30. If I were buying another set I would go for the 10x42 water proof.

Last edited: