Black mildew

Byram

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
I left my orange stearns vest in the center console over the winter. :mad: Looks like black mildew all over it. I did a search and found an old thread recommending Marine 31, their application was on cushions though. I tried a few things but no luck. Any ideas ? I do wear it regularly.

Reactions: SeanC

Fishtales

Reaction score

Byram

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
Thanks Fish...

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I used that Nautical One product for the first time this spring. It works great on vinyl and rubberized plastic trim. But while it doesn't seem to contain chlorine bleach, it has some other type of bleaching agent. I got some on my colored T-shirt and it left light-colored spots. So be sure to try it on a small area first before spraying it all over your orange vests.

Reactions: Byram

nuclear

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I used that Nautical One product for the first time this spring. It works great on vinyl and rubberized plastic trim. But while it doesn't seem to contain chlorine bleach, it has some other type of bleaching agent. I got some on my colored T-shirt and it left light-colored spots. So be sure to try it on a small area first before spraying it all over your orange vests.
I actually just used it for the first time as well on Sat. for my bolsters. It worked way better than I ever thought it would.

Reactions: Byram

Capt Tom

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 205
Count me in as a believer. This stuff works great, where nothing else did. Expensive but my bolsters and cushions haven't looked this good in years.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Black mildew is called "mold" :)

Try any of the products available - or soak it in a mild solution of bleach/water for a while - then rinse and put it in the sun. That should at least get most of it.

seasick

Reaction score
Star Brite has an excellent mold and mildew remover
I've used lots of products in the past and currently am using the Strabrite product. In many cases it works very well but in some. not so good. I have had good luck with Mold Away too but maybe not significantly better than Starbrite to justify the difference in cost. I use to swear by ZEP mold remover that I would get by the gallon at HD but somewhere along its history, it stopped working as well as it had. I don't know if the formula changed or they watered it down but I don't use it anymore.The mold removers with bleach work faster and better than those without bleach and on hard surfaces are fine but have to be used with caution on soft materials like upholstery and vinyl. They should be thoroughly rinsed off with water since the bleach can yellow some materials ( like gelcoat) or speed the deterioration of the thread on upholstery.

What I have experienced for the last several years is that placing desiccants like DampRid in the cabins really helps reduce mildew but you need to check and replace as needed over the seasons.
On my vinyl cushions, I typically clean them with a mild soap and water mix, dry them and apply some 303 Protectorant. That stuff is expensive buts works very well.
To be fair and upfront, I do not shrink wrap my boats. I use tarps and custom covers that breathe. If I were to use shrink wrap, the proper amount of venting is important. Small solar fans that are cut into the wrap in addition to passive vents can make a world of difference

Capt Tom

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 205
Part of my reply was, when the other stuff doesn't do the job the Nautical One does. I've tried the other products like Starbrite and 303.

Attachments

• 16859053954646172290225167402556.jpg
    16859053954646172290225167402556.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10

seasick

Reaction score
I was referring to 303 Protectorant not the mold remover. Before using it, the cushions have to be washed and dried. It helps keep the vinyl from drying out and adds UV protection.