black specs in topside gelcoat

peter devine

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a 1997 272 sailfish and there are black specs on the floor and the walk around area? they are very small but i want my boat WHITE
I scrub but they do not come out. any suggestions on what to use?
Thanks

248voyager

Reaction score
try roll off, wet the surface, let it sit for 5 min or so and scrib with a stiff brush. should do the trick

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
bar keepers friend. Takes it right off, follow up with woody wax and it will come off with just some soap and water if it develops again.

BobS

Reaction score
black specs

How oxidized is your gel coat? I have an 88' and its finish is flat. Nearly every spring I had black mold or mildew specs on the decks and cockpit liner. Use a few drops of bleach and test a spot, if the spots turn greenish yellow and wash off....you have what I have and it's organic - mold/mildew. I have concluded that it's due to the flat gelcoat holding moisture rater than beading the water and shedding water. Mine was so bad one year after removing the shrink wrap, that I ended up washing everything down with a bleach mixture to kill it. If you wrap the boat, and it's up under the gunnels where you can't see it, it will be back in full bloom next year in the spring. My boat is a CC 249 fisherman, all open. Last year before shrink wrapping, I used an garden sprayer, up under the gunnels, decks, console, everything (just don't hit anything like colored canvas or cushions), with a 50/50 bleach/water mix, scrub it with a soft deck brush and then a low pressure wash. Let it dry thoughly and had it wrapped. This spring it was absolutely clean, not one speck. Hope this helps. I wouldn't do the bleach wash regularly but once a year seems okay. Then again, as I said, my topsides and decks have zero shine at this point anyway. Check back to the gallery, I just submitted a photo today. So far I think I'll be the only 249 CC Fisherman "Keemosabe" in the gallery.
BobS :D

peter devine

Reaction score
Thanks!!! I thought i was the only one. I did mix 10%bleach and water and it worked well on almost everything. I didnt want to go too harsh either. The prior owner never cleaned the bildge!! It was discusting down there and i could only powewr wash so much with the design of the hull.
I did wash under the gunnels and i suspect that was were the stuff was comming from. should i be waxing the floor area with something not too slipery? :roll:

Thanks

JeffN

Reaction score
Re: black specs

BobS said:
Not too slipery being the operative phrase there. I don't know of anything.
BobS

Woody wax is not too slippery on my boat. For deck cleaning I use Softscrub with bleach, works great.

peter devine

Reaction score
I have tried everything and even scrubbed with a green pad
Barkeepers friend
mary k
fiberglass restorer
simply green mixed and concentrated
bleach diluted and straight
collinite
fleetwax
3 m restorer

looks like we be painting!!!

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
cleaning agents

Grady White recommends vinegar. I use it straight and it works great. I brush it on or wipe it on depending on where, wait 5 min and wash or wipe it off.

hkg4142

Reaction score
Another amazing product is FSR (fiber glass stain remover) West Marine carries it. It is a blue gel that will remove about anything from your gel coat. Heed the wear gloves warning though!!