Black tank and pump replacement

Wild blue

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I’m looking into replacing the Has anyone taken a stab at swapping out the black tank and pump with this setup,
…if so what were the good the bad and the ugly(other than the cost)

Thank you in advance for any feedback!

IMG_6857.png

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Is the current tank leaking?

But the actual swap is extremely easy and straight forward - there's really nothing to worry about. I imagine the hardest thing is going to be, like with most things boat-related, the access. And, that, I can't help with... I'm too far away :)

Wild blue

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Is the current tank leaking?

But the actual swap is extremely easy and straight forward - there's really nothing to worry about. I imagine the hardest thing is going to be, like with most things boat-related, the access. And, that, I can't help with... I'm too far away :)
No, but my pump is out and I hate that system, seems like everyone I know with a Grady is constantly messing with it! I don’t plan to pump out very often so it isn’t a huge deal but I like systems that work when needed

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
No, but my pump is out and I hate that system, seems like everyone I know with a Grady is constantly messing with it! I don’t plan to pump out very often so it isn’t a huge deal but I like systems that work when needed
Can you just adapt your current tank to use an external mac? You just need to use a dip tube... or use a Y-valve in your pump-out deck fitting's hose to select overboard or pump out.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I reworked mine. Using silicone hoses make it easier to take something apart if something goes wrong. If you are going to do this don't mount the macerator vertically - go horizontal like the one you put up. These pumps don't like to "lift" and the impellers will dry out and loose prime if not used often. I have to take my pump output hose off and put some water in it at the beginning of the season. Setting it up horizontally helps keep it wet.

Also consider access to the tank, retainer clip/screws and hose removal/reinstall. Also dimensions. If there is nothing wrong with the tank I wouldn't attempt to get it out. Clean it out well when the Groco is out. Make a starboard cover and 5200 it down. Make the pickup tube out of PVC.

Macerator 1.jpg

Fishtales

Reaction score
Might be easier to swap the macerator and use the existing tank (if the same - looks like mine), the wiring and controls if working.