blew my engine

shadow379

Reaction score
Started out as a great day, my brother was in town and my daughter and I took him fishing. Headed 15 miles off Topsail and trolled for 2 hours with no action, we then moved another 10 miles into 90ft of water with a temp around 65 degrees. While trolling, with no warning the engine made a loud knock and shut down. Found a hole in the crankcase :(. Towboat US came and brought us in and we were back in time for dinner. We took advantage of the situation and spent some quality time together waiting on the tow and chaulked it up to a life experience. Now the search for another engine begins!

Fishtales

Reaction score
That stinks, but it sounds like you made the best of it. Take the time to have the hull and transom checked thoroughly. You want to make sure she is solid before investing in a new motor. The outcome may help you make the best decision (new, used) and if used, what condition to target. Best of luck getting back on the water soon.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Wonder what made it blow? Hole in crankcase is usually from a connecting rod flying around after it breaks from a piston seizing. Only heard of that happening at high speed. Shouldn't have a problem finding a replacement, lots of OX66's out there.