Blow by and Yamaha 250-

NikM820

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Just wanted to share my experience so others may learn as I did, but not be out for 3 weeks! It started 70 engine hr ago in May. My yamaha tech was doing the oil change and noticed some oil under the cowling, he digs deeper and noticed the plugs look like they have been burning oil. He introduces me to blow by at this point and explains it, tells me to do a shock treatment of ring free. Also to run a few tanks with the ring free and that should do the trick. Well, like I said that was 70 hrs ago. I was out for the red snapper opening And got a low oil alarm roughly 40 miles offshore. Pulled dipstick and sure enough about 2 quarts low, I added some oil and went about my day. Running in the river at wot she was burning enough oil to actually see blue smoke rising from the water. I posted a thread on tht about it and got some advice to try yamaha internal engine cleaner (dealer applied only). My shop is 3 weeks out so currently I'm just waiting for my appointment... Patiently....while its 1-2 foot 5-10 knot winds with great diving viz. :bang
2005 f250 on a marlin 970 hours.
I hope this does the trick, I'm not good at being boat less.
Lesson of the day, use ring free and open those babies up to wot during every trip for at least a couple miles.
Nick

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Sorry to hear about your problem, and hope you are able to solve it quickly and inexpensively.

We bought our Islander new with a 250HP OX66 and were well indoctrinated on using Ringfree all the time. We had 465 hours on that engine when we repowered with twin F150s. The installing dealer and his lead tech really emphasized to us that continued use of Ringfree was highly recommended.

Now, with over 1500 hours on the F150s and no problems of any type, we are happy that we continued to use Ringfree.

Brian

raisinkane

Reaction score
GO SEE TARA AT NSB CAUSEWAY MARINA AND GET A GALLON OF ENGINE TUNER [BOMBAERER-ETEC-OMC]. MIX IT WITH SIX GALLONS OF FUEL IN A SEPERATE TANK. HOOK IT UP TO YOUR FUEL SEPERATOR AND RUN THE BOAT IN THE RIVER UNDER A LIGHT LOAD 1500-2500 RPM UNTIL ITS ALL GONE. THIS WILL UNSTICK YOUR RINGS FROM ALL THE CARBON AND WILL CLEAN YOUR PLUGS. THEN CHANGE YOUR OIL,AND YOUR FILTER. AFTER THIS IS ALL DONE YOU WILL POST ME BACK THAT THE MOTORS HAVE NEVER SOUNDED SO GREAT OR RUN SO SMOOTH.REDO IN 300 HOURS, AND USE RING FREE.
-

NikM820

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks for the suggestion. The boat is close to the 1000 hr mark so I'm going to go ahead and have that done as well while the boats in the shop. I'm sure there are a few ways to clear the carbon out but I'm going to try the Yamaha recommended treatment first and go from there.
Thanks
Nick

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Nick ,

It doesn't sound good. Are you sure this oil burning started suddenly? Are you sure she wasn't using oil all along but maybe not as much?
If I was you I would check engine compression and do a leakdown test as well, compression test alone will not give you an indication as to why you are using oil unless you have a stuck/broken ring on one or more cylinders. On even ring wear on all cylinders, the oil fills the gap and you have normal compression. A leakdown test will tell you the wear on the rings/bore glazing.
when you find out the condition you can decide on what action to take .
I wish you luck !!!

GW96

Reaction score
I've never really understood how ring free would work on a 4 stroke. 2 stroke makes sense, but in a 4 stroke it seems to me an oil additive would work better to control carbon around rings. I can see it cleaning up valves and seats, but I don't see how it would be effective in a 4 stroke combustion chamber. The Yami techs know better than me but 4 stroke technology isn't new and there are plenty of oil additives on the market for cars that clean up rings and valve trains.....just saying.

Fishtales

Reaction score
GW96 said:
I've never really understood how ring free would work on a 4 stroke. 2 stroke makes sense, but in a 4 stroke it seems to me an oil additive would work better to control carbon around rings. I can see it cleaning up valves and seats, but I don't see how it would be effective in a 4 stroke combustion chamber. The Yami techs know better than me but 4 stroke technology isn't new and there are plenty of oil additives on the market for cars that clean up rings and valve trains.....just saying.

I tend to agree, but then again if I could make the margin they are making on that stuff, I'd say to use it on everything with a Yamaha label on it......