Blow-Up Rafts?

Capt Armchair

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Do any of you use any type of 'blow-up' raft to ferry to shore etc? We like to take the kids (3 & 5) to the beach in our Marlin and I really think that I would prefer a raft of some sort so that I can anchor a little ways from the traffic fray.

Need to think about size, or blow it up just before I launch it?
Rigid bottom?
Electric trolling motor or row it?

More than likely I will be able to load my little ones in and pull it over, but a bit of versatility would be nice.

Here is one that caught my eye. Could maybe fish the local river a bit in this..

http://www.campinggeardepot.com/store-p ... 19047.html

Looking for thoughts, experiences and advice.

Thanks!

Don

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
I actually buy a $15 blow up raft from Benny's every season. Usually a 3 man that comes with oars.
I dont worry if it disapears or pops, and to be honest, is kind of fun. I bring the dog to shore to use the bathroom ect.
I have been doing this for five seasons now. Doesnt take up much room and I use a 12V electric pump.
Tim

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
When our children were younger we also used to bring an inexpensive blow up raft for them (and the towels, frisbee, beach ball, food, drinks, diapers, sunscreen, shovel and pail, blanket, kitchen sink, etc.) I think the raft cost us around $20 or $30. Used it occasionally and it still holds air to this day. I could not justify a good one for the three or four times a year we used ours. On the down side the paddles and the oarlocks were really poor. In other words you would not want to paddle more than a few hundred yards or have to fight a strong tide. For us, I was often "the method of propulsion" as the water was only about four or five feet deep.