Boat camping (sleeping on board) with a CPAP machine

Idle Hour

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Gentlemen,
I use a CPAP at home at night and it plugs into the house, 110v. The boat is 12v.
Do any of you have this situation, how do you manage this on a on a smaller Grady like the Seafarer? An over the counter inverter?
Thanks.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
You will need to determine how many watts your CPAP machine draws. I don’t expect that it would be a lot but I have no idea. It should be available on the machine or online. Then an inverter that is capable probably slightly oversized would work but could end up drawing a lot from your batteries. Not hard to figure out. There are several threads on this forum that talk about inverter capacity and draw from the batteries.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Last edited:

Angler Management

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Buddy used a simple cigarette lighter inverter last spring for 5 nights. Worked great, minimal drain on my house bank. Ran the boat every day and only used shore power 1 night.

Alternately the portable battery systems by Jackery, Ecoflow, etc... are good, but heavy and spendy. But a good alternative.

Seafarer_Bob

Reaction score
Outer Banks NC - Winter / Ocean City MD Summer
Model
Seafarer
Gentlemen,
I use a CPAP at home at night and it plugs into the house, 110v. The boat is 12v.
Do any of you have this situation, how do you manage this on a on a smaller Grady like the Seafarer? An over the counter inverter?
Thanks.
I camp out in my Seafarer all the time and can't sleep without my CPAP. The unit I have from Philips has an optional 12v cord I just plug into a 12v outlet I installed in the cabin. I don't use the humidifier because it uses 4x the electricity but I'm usually camping in the summer when it's humid anyway.
If you haven't done so already you should consider installing the aux charging / isolator cable and isolating your house battery. The cable costs about $200 and once installed / configured you can drain your house to 0v and your starting battery will still be 100%.

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
With all the amazing power banks now I'd get one of those rather than drain my boat's batteries.
Check out Ecoflow, that are one of the leading brands. Each model is rated for a certain number of hours on a CPAP.

Rated for 10 hours: https://amzn.to/3H5wipl

$180 off coupon now.

Screen Shot 2022-12-02 at 8.46.07 AM.png