Boat covers - 20' Overnighter

MikeF150

Reaction score
I just recently bought a 1990 Overnighter with 2004 150 HP yamaha & trailer.

For those with overnighters, do you have any recommendations for a full cover including motor? (no pulpit or hard tower). mfg? website link?

I'm planning to buy house next spring with large garage/barn/outbuilding - rather than spend $250-300 this year for winter wrap, I'd figure I'd buy a cover for now and perhaps use it next summer as well while in marina. (Boat was stored by original owner in his barn each year since 1990.)

TIA!!!

Fishtales

Reaction score
Check out THT vendors. Fisher was over there and they look like a decent cover. They are custom for each boat.

imjus4u2nv

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Check out THT vendors. Fisher was over there and they look like a decent cover. They are custom for each boat.
Check out my post here, I have a 1996 208:
https://www.greatgrady.com/threads/boat-cover-recommendations.28009/
Has a good warranty and so far one year and no issues (one time didnt have good supports and ended up filling with a ton of water hanging like a hammock and didnt rip, I was thoroughly impressed). It is a little baggy and designed for a trailer/land and is meant to be tied to trailer (if at the marina means in the water this is not the cover for you). It is big enough to cover the engine and I extend mine out over the swim platform.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I've seen some folks hang some gallon milk jugs with some water in them off the cover to tighten things up.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I just bought a cover for my Overnighter that’s sold by Cabelas for about $220. It’s for 20-22’ boats and it’s a really nice cover. I actually haven’t stretched over the boat yet as it’s been a busy week.
I’ll try to do it tomorrow and then I’ll report back.
I keep my Grady under a carport and mainly want to keep it clean.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Boatcoversdirect.com

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Went out today and put on the cover I picked up for my Overnighter.
Here are some pics...
91F5D8A0-0CE1-4A2A-8331-889D9FDCF08A.jpeg
3E1BAE96-F810-4FB1-90FF-37AF5623237A.jpeg
08A14EE9-5B3C-4202-9A08-1CFDC03681A9.jpeg
E34774E0-34A3-49EA-BA0F-5D072A281908.jpeg
This is a strong fabric, not at all like the material used with car covers that resembles recycled paper. I’ve bought a lot of covers for my cars and previous boats and some really are junk, this is a quality cover.
This is for a 20-22’ 106” beam boat and it would fit perfect if it wasn’t for the bow rails. That small portion in the front where the registration decals are is the only spot it wouldn’t stretch over. I bought this off Craigslist for $65 and it appears new. Cabelas price New is $219.99 which is still a good price.
I asked why he was selling it and he said his boat has a painted topside and the cover scuffed up the paint. He had trailered with it so there you go, they say you can but never, never trailer anything with a cover of any kind tied to it. The paint will always get scuffed.
I would recommend buying the next size up for a 22-24’ boat to get the wider beam.
Also the best cover is still only as good as its support underneath. Cover all corners or sharp spots will foam such as pipe insulation.
Below is a link to Cabelas site and this cover. Knowing what I know now again I recommend the 22-24’ cover for a wider 116” beam. It’s $247.99.
https://www.cabelas.com/product/Classic-DryGuard-trade-Waterproof-Boat-Cover/2215587.uts?slotId=0

I’m good with this one having it under a carport rain and snow is not a concern. Dust does blow through and when I want to use it I have to wash it first. The cover should keep the dust and bird crap off and that’s all I need it for. I could have gotten by with one of the junky covers which is why I went cheap with CL but it turned out to be a really good cover.
One day when your ready, if you really want piece of mind that Carolina Carport ran me $4G with upgrades. It gives protection from the sun, weather, branches, acorns bombing it and allows me to maintain the boat year round.
Mike

Last edited:

imjus4u2nv

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Went out today and put on the cover I picked up for my Overnighter.
Here are some pics...
View attachment 9070
View attachment 9071
View attachment 9072
View attachment 9073
This is a strong fabric, not at all like the material used with car covers that resembles recycled paper. I’ve bought a lot of covers for my cars and previous boats and some really are junk, this is a quality cover.
This is for a 20-22’ 106” beam boat and it would fit perfect if it wasn’t for the bow rails. That small portion in the front where the registration decals are is the only spot it wouldn’t stretch over. I bought this off Craigslist for $65 and it appears new. Cabelas price New is $219.99 which is still a good price.
I asked why he was selling it and he said his boat has a painted topside and the cover scuffed up the paint. He had trailered with it so there you go, they say you can but never, never trailer anything with a cover of any kind tied to it. The paint will always get scuffed.
I would recommend buying the next size up for a 22-24’ boat to get the wider beam.
Also the best cover is still only as good as its support underneath. Cover all corners or sharp spots will foam such as pipe insulation.
Below is a link to Cabelas site and this cover. Knowing what I know now again I recommend the 22-24’ cover for a wider 116” beam. It’s $247.99.
https://www.cabelas.com/product/Classic-DryGuard-trade-Waterproof-Boat-Cover/2215587.uts?slotId=0

I’m good with this one having it under a carport rain and snow is not a concern. Dust does blow through and when I want to use it I have to wash it first. The cover should keep the dust and bird crap off and that’s all I need it for. I could have gotten by with one of the junky covers which is why I went cheap with CL but it turned out to be a really good cover.
One day when your ready, if you really want piece of mind that Carolina Carport ran me $4G with upgrades. It gives protection from the sun, weather, branches, acorns bombing it and allows me to maintain the boat year round.
Mike
For the OP, if no car garage and using for winter storage really want that rub rail covered.
EDIT just noticed Lt recommended larger size.

Last edited: