Boat Detailing Question.

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The detailing is going well. One of those rare occasions when reality is better than expectation. I may be going overboard though. After compounding the radar dome today, I decided to do the VHF aerial. It wasn’t shiny enough. Do I need an intervention?

One thing has me puzzled. After compounding the hull, the gel coat that was under the decals is lighter than the rest of the hull. I expected it to be the reverse.

seasick

Reaction score
The antenna can be waxed but sometimes the fiberglass itself starts to erode. If it feels smooth but needs to shine, wax it.
The light color under old decals is typical. The UV rays cause the gelcoat to darken over time. Over time(maybe a long time), the lighter sections will darken

Dand1

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
The detailing is going well. One of those rare occasions when reality is better than expectation. I may be going overboard though. After compounding the radar dome today, I decided to do the VHF aerial. It wasn’t shiny enough. Do I need an intervention?

One thing has me puzzled. After compounding the hull, the gel coat that was under the decals is lighter than the rest of the hull. I expected it to be the reverse.
Do you mean the color under the decal was the same as the original Grady off white color or is it actually different . I found that anything that was covered like decal’s has more of the original Grady look. I’m trying to get mine to match those places, and with a good buffer and light compounding it’s beginning to work. After it is all done being compounded then clean and put good marine wax on it, she will look like new. But it is sure a labor of love. Good Luck

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hmmm, color under my decals was the original color whereas the rest of the boat was what I would call bleached out, definitely lighter than under the decals. I wax my antennas also, nothing wrong with it. OCD, maybe, I like for my stuff to look good. It's been a labor of love and pride, of finally owning a Grady-White and bringing her back to her beauty. She gets dropped off in 3 weeks or so for some fiberglass work fixing old repairs from PO and a full compound and wax. I fish my boat, but there is nothing wrong with keeping her clean and looking good at the same time.

Here's a pic where the cabin side flags came off, original Grady color underneath.

image1.PNG

Reactions: Pighunter

Fishtales

Reaction score
The gelcoat should lighten over time (ivory color to more of a white) from the sun. It can come back somewhat after a good cleaning or compounding but likely never like it was when born.

seasick

Reaction score
Did I get that backwards?
If the color under where the decals is lighter than the rest, either the exposed gel coat got darker or it's just oxidized and looks darker. I have to think about this now that I am confused:)

seasick

Reaction score
OK, I did some reading because I didn't understand what I said earlier. Fist of all, I should get a condition pass on my 'perhaps' misleading answer because I don't see colors all that well:)

I said that the gel coat in general will darken while the gelcoat under the decals will not. As mentioned, it is correct as stated by others that the finish will fade and that usually means it turns lighter. However, whitish tones of gelcoat as they oxidize mat tend to turn a tint of yellow. In my eyes, that is darker.

I also read an interesting article about the difference between glossy gel coat and waxed shinny gel coat. Oxidized gel coat can be waxed and will shine for a while but the oxidation causes small micro holes in the finish that normal waxes can't fill but can 'span' for a while. Eventually and perhaps quickly, the wax will break down and the surface will look dull. Appropriate treatment like compounding, polishing or even sanding can make a surface smooth but not necessarily shinny. You need to do both polishing and waxing.

Reactions: Pighunter

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
OK, I did some reading because I didn't understand what I said earlier. Fist of all, I should get a condition pass on my 'perhaps' misleading answer because I don't see colors all that well:)

I said that the gel coat in general will darken while the gelcoat under the decals will not. As mentioned, it is correct as stated by others that the finish will fade and that usually means it turns lighter. However, whitish tones of gelcoat as they oxidize mat tend to turn a tint of yellow. In my eyes, that is darker.

I also read an interesting article about the difference between glossy gel coat and waxed shinny gel coat. Oxidized gel coat can be waxed and will shine for a while but the oxidation causes small micro holes in the finish that normal waxes can't fill but can 'span' for a while. Eventually and perhaps quickly, the wax will break down and the surface will look dull. Appropriate treatment like compounding, polishing or even sanding can make a surface smooth but not necessarily shinny. You need to do both polishing and waxing.
When I initially removed the decals the gelcoat under them was darker than the exposed gel coat. The exposed gel coat had a fair amount of shine. It wasn’t chalky by any means. I wanted to try and get back to the original Grady colour so I compounded it fairly aggressively. When I was finished the exposed gel coat was darker. It’s not a big difference and the replacement decals will cover it. The only place you will be able to see it was where the Rhode Island registration were.