Boat filled with water

tbyrne

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I brought the boat (19 ft tournament 140 Suzuki) on Thanksgiving Vacation and launched it and docked it at the local Marina. Figured with some decent weather (North Carolina, Emerald Isle)we could cruise and fish a little before putting it away for the season.

Thursday was excellent and all was well until today. I went over to check on the boat and it had about 1 inch of water in the floor, the entire bilge was full. A few things caused the problem. First, a Bow line loosened up and the boat drifted back allowing the outboard to go under the dock. When the tide came in, the motor got stuck and kept the stern down. The water eventually came over and the bilge pump float failed. Fortunately, the pump still worked on manual.

Luckily, the motor was fine, a small chip in the plate above the prop. I pumped it out and all seems well.

I know it was a stupid mistake and I secured the bow line correctly. Is there any other issue that could cause a problem ? Tomorrow I plan to pull the boat, pull the plug and drain it again, then hopefully go for a ride to test everything.

richie rich

Reaction score
In still water, the only other thing other than your description, a rainstorm or a hole in the boat would be the seacock and raw water hose that has failed and bled water in.....it has to be something significant for water to build up that fast, regardless of the bilge pump working. This would not be a little crack or leaky screw hole somewhere...

tbyrne

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Boat filled

Went back today and all was fine, boat was sittin up just like as last night when I bailed it. Took it out and went over to Swansboro, no problems. So far appears to be a poor tie-up that caused the water to come in.

I`m just glad there was no major damage, at least not that I can tell.

Thanks

T

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
After you haul the boat out, I think it would be a good idea to open all the deck hatches, and rinse below decks with fresh water, including the fuel tank and it's compartment. If you can get your hands on some "Salt Away", use that with the rinse.

You may not have any damage that is apparant, but you may end up with long-erm damage to the aluminum fuel tank, and electrical connx from salt corrosion.