Boat Floats Unevenly

Jonah

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hi all,

When anchored and empty of passengers or cargo, my Adventure leans to one side. Not drastically, but the waterline on the starboard side covers the bottom-paint just perfectly, whereas the waterline on the port side leaves at least an inch, or maybe 1.5", of bottom-paint showing above the waterline.

I suppose this makes sense, given that the two batteries are on the starboard side, along with the helm itself and most of the electronic wiring. But it just seems like GW would have factored that in by putting the batteries on the port side or something.

So, could someone reassure me that this is perfectly normal?

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Not uncommon. The two batteries in the starboard compartment weigh more than the oil tank in the port compartment.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
on my 232, i had a box of lead. a list would follow whichever side i had the lead on. it was also susceptible to engines up and titled to one or the other side.

are you sure the waterline is painted evenly on both sides? are you looking at fixed points on the transom for measurement?

you should also check your gear storage and make sure you haven't biased that side. are there any other fixed features on the opposite side that were removed or empty such as a water tank?

at a minimum, i would move a battery. good luck, ron

Jonah

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks everyone. Yes, I've checked that the paint is even on each side, so it seems that it really does lean to the starboard side a bit. At the moment, I have no gear on the boat, and so it must just be the batteries and helm. I'm no longer worried, now that I've heard of others having this issue, but I do wish that I had the know-how to move the batteries over, etc.

Thanks again!