Boat Graphics Removal

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I use a hair dryer.
Just heat the decal then peel it off, try to avoid over heating as it will tear and if it is a large decal do it in sections.A little trial and error and it should work for you. This works best for me but I'm sure you will get other post on this.

Reel Sharp

Reaction score
I used a heat gun. It has different setting for heat and made quick work of the decals. As noted trial and error. I found if you heat a section and start to pull a small piece, heat the the section in front you are about to remove and slowly pull up. You will be able to pull large sections at a time. Good luck.

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
second the hair dryer, takes a while but will comes off without risking any burns to the gelcoat. some big and some small pieces if you pick at em right. Dont like the ghosting left behind, still has not faded.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
sfc2113 said:
>snip
Dont like the ghosting left behind, still has not faded.

And it won't. If the rest of the hull has faded it will require wet-sanding with 1000-1200 grit and buff/polish.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Use a hair dryer or heat gun, have a sharp razer blade handy as well, sometimes helps to get it going easier. After it is removed, clean the glue off if present with any house hold cleaner. I recommend then using collinite 920 hull cleaner to blend the hull color back, bad part is you will need to do the complete hull because where you clean will be whiter and cleaner then the rest of the hull, but it will get the whole boat the same color and looking great as well.

Scouter

Reaction score
Any good size auto parts store can get you an eraser wheel from 3M. I dont recall the exact name of it, but we use them often to remove the decals from truck doors. Its quite safe if you run them slow in a cordless drill, its kind of a rubbery wheel that rubs the vinyl graphics off. They wear down by the end of the job.

Jim

TonyUSMC

Reaction score
decal removal

I used a paint scraper an iron that will steam when it is vertical. i did that as well as using a wet rag as a buffer (steam and heat shot right through) between the iron and the hull. I just replaced the GW logo graphics on my '78 Dolphin. It worked nicely even though the stickers were brittle to the touch. As soon as i put the steam and heat to it it started to almost come off by its self.

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
sfc2113 said:
second the hair dryer, takes a while but will comes off without risking any burns to the gelcoat. some big and some small pieces if you pick at em right. Dont like the ghosting left behind, still has not faded.

Oh yea, I used acetone for the glue.