Boat Hook

Fishtales

Reaction score
I need to get a new one of these. I find the while and red ones just don't hold up (end or rivet usually break).
Can someone recommend a decent boat hook?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Garelick. Use and sell many of these - over 30 years, I've yet to hear of one breaking. Not saying it doesn't happen - I'm sure it does - but these have been excellent.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Thanks Dennis. I found the heavy duty (SS head) 6'. Looks like it is solid.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
You're welcome, one-who-fibs-about-the-fish-he's-caught! I've actually never used THAT one - I've only ever used the black, nylon head one. But I guess if the nylon one is as good as it is, then the SS should be better.

The ONLY drawback I've found is that one of the collapsible ones jammed up and wouldn't extend/collapse anymore. However, that's probably my fault for not ever rinsing it. Still works fine for it's intended purpose, though.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Yea, I had one of those. They either stick closed or don't lock fully. If you are using them at the dock to grab a cleat or push off, I thought the metal would be best. They need to do a better job with their line up. Hard to tell which one is better than the other... Finally figured it out.