Boat leaning towards starboard at dock

Deadstockpomp

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
1992 explorer 24 (full transom model with bracket) seems to be sitting about an inch Lower on the starboard side at the dock. Even with the heavy things such as coolers, sinkers, etc in the center. I have a battery on the port and starboard side, gas tanks are in the center. Any ideas? I can tell by the screws on the scuppers.

Last edited:

Deadstockpomp

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
I’m not really sure to be honest. I just hope the hull is secure and not taking in water or something. It’s not really a crazy lean but if I stand behind the boat I can see. How do I even go about checking for trapped water and what not?

seasick

Reaction score
My other boat leans to port also, perhaps a inch or two. Batteries and oil tanks are on starboard side, Fresh water is on port side. I was not able to see or detect any water in the bilge or hull. I used an endoscope in addition to the original moisture meter data.
I do not now if the previous owner had a similar issue. I did notice however that when tied up at the dock, if the wind is off the port side, the list is more noticeable. It may be exaggerated by a slight downward pull of the dock lines and that is just how the lines lay based on the freeboard of the floating dock. In any case, the issue may have always been there and I don't worry about it. I just keep an eye to make sure it doesn't get worse.

georgemjr

Reaction score
My 2007 330 Exprfess has a significant lean to port and I have read this is not unusual. I had a 2006 that was much more even. The only difference between the two boats is the optional fishbox cooler whose compressor is located port midship. I added a ballast bag (made for water skiing), which I store to starboard and fill with water until the boat sits even. It is an annoying little difference with no real solution. Grady did a pretty good job o evening out the equipment to allow for a balanced boat, but certainly missed the mark to some degree, on some models, plus there is no accounting for added equipment over time. They did move the 4 batteries to centerline after my year, but for mine they are on port (probably one of the culprits).

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
First, verify that it actually is listing. Since you're only basing this on the scuppers... even though the scuppers "should" be even... put a level on the transom seat or the bracket just to be sure. It doesn't take much to cause a (relatively) narrow beam boat to list - but it you're sure there's no accessories (aft or forward) that are unbalanced? Next... is the engine, which I assume is tilted, centered or is it flopped over to one side? And... is there any water in the bilge? If there's any water, that can do it, too.

igblack87

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
My 180 Lists to post about 1". I had the same concerns as you did but have had the boat checked and have done visual inspections myself. From time to time when I plane out it will be listed to port but rides completely straight. Like others have said, with a narrow beam boat and a SeaVee2 hull...you can get a list to either side due to equipment, fuel, oil ect. Keep and eye on it, check your moister/bilge every once and a while. Im sure that other models and boat brands have similar issues, annoying as all hell though.

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
My 1988 24 offshore also lists to the starboard side. Still trying to figure it out. Lol.