boat leans to Port

billfish33

Reaction score
I have a 2009 Suzuki DF300 that’s transom mounted on a 1993 Grady White gulfstream.
We have less than 20 hours on it and were pretty sure we need to drop down in pitch{currently 3x16x20 pitch Suzuki prop}.I was out a few days ago and got it up to 5600 rpm at 34 mph trimming the motor up as much as I could before it slipped. {Were supposed to be at the 6000 RPM sweatspot……with 6300 being the max}

With that said :
The main problem now is what I can only describe is Torque push. At about 3800 rpm the boat lists to the port side , at 5600 rpm earlier in the week, it seemed a bit dangerous as the list to the port side got much worse.

we also have a slight Torque steer problem ,but to only one side {forget which side ?} Boat has a brand new Uflex Hydrolic kit installed.

the small outboard trimtab has not yet been adjusted, but I kinda doubt it would level us out ??
The Boat has Bennett trim tabs and they work,but seem small for this boat ?
1) prop
2) boat leaning to Port {level at rest}
3) slight torque steer

Is there anything out there that will help with the list/leaning problem ??
thanks, I included a pic !

DSC_0006.jpg

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Are the batteries mounted port-side? If so, how many are there? My old 192 had a port-side list from the 2 batteries. If the trim tabs were factory mounted, then they are the correct size. They don't need to be huge to make a difference.

billfish33

Reaction score
Bob:
1 battery in each corner, not sure if the tabs are originals ? but they probably are.

were going to fully test it again in the morning, and I'll try and get some more pics.

Butcherboy

Reaction score
prop

Big motors turning big props can cause this to appear. Since your not getting top rpms find someone that will let you try smaller props. Aftermarket preminum stainless props with more cupping might allow you to go smallest with the best performance...........good luck

capeguy

Reaction score
Have the same problem on a smaller scale with my 180. I do not have tabs. It is caused because the thrust or the prop is pushing not straight back but down as well.

When you get on plane trim the engine up and the list should lessen. I trim up until the prop slip gets noticeable, then back down a bit to try and optimize the position. On my boat, when alone I cannot get it totally level, but close.

When I first got the boat I was very concerned as I felt it a dangerous lean, the engine trim makes a huge difference.

Good luck.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
oops, I went back and read your description again and noticed the boat has no lean to port at rest. There is a lot of torque on that big 300, others know more than I, but I can see it causing the lean.

billfish33

Reaction score
thanks Guys !

was out this morning on much calmer water this time around for another test, with the port trimtab lowered,we were able to level out the boat,but I was only able to get to 5100 rpms with the motor trimmed out,but we hit 37 mph ?

we need another prop for sure .
I'll be talking to Powertech again in the morning.

rjriordan

Reaction score
Check your trim tabs visually to ensure both are fully retracted....I had a similar problem on my 305 Express, and found that the starboard side tab had slipped on its pin hinge and was not seating fully in the hull detent....only takes a few degrees (that doesn't show on the gauge) to give you a very annoying list.

billfish33

Reaction score
Our dealer is in the process of shipping us a Suzuki SS 3x16x17 pitch prop, that should be a whole lot better than the 20 pitch were send back down to them !
Powertech told me they would go with a 4x15 1/4x 16 or 17 pitch, and if i had to buy a prop, that's the way I would go....but this ones getting swapped for free !

I'm expecting the lean to port to lessen a bit with this prop,and even though the port trimtab leveled us out,the less tab used the better !

Io getting a Jackplate next year, probably a 4" Atlas,We have very shallow water around our marina, and i'd like to raise it up as far as possible { making sure water inlet is fine } .
also would like to tweak the motor height for performance reasons as well !

billfish33

Reaction score
I switched to the 17 pitch and on a very calm day last week, i had it at 6000 rpm at wot.
we hit 39 mph with about 150 gallons of fuel and lots of gear {coolers full etc}