Boat Renaming....

Bird Blaster

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I am not at all a superstitious person. But something about boats has me thinking maybe I should consider what others do when renaming a boat.

I am not at all a fan of my current boat's name. For one I wouldn't have named it that and secondly I would've spelled it right had I named it the current badge it wears on the hull.

Current name is "Serinity" - with no clear reason as to the incorrect spelling.

Thoughts and opinions please.

Thanks
BB

teaklejr

Reaction score
If you are not happy with the name change it, we got our 305 Express in July and that was the first thing we did. The name was horrible along with the decal. I bet our previous name/decal is probably one of the worse ones I have seen.

Attachments

• justified.jpg
    justified.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 3

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I'm not very superstitious, either, but it's a fun thing to do - both the denaming and renaming ceremony. Below is what I've written in the past in another thread, so I just copied and pasted...

I would do the denaming ceremony for both names. Can't go wrong by overdoing it... plus you get to use more of the "spirits"! :D

I'm not a superstitious guy, but my denaming/naming experience of our Sea Ray has made me think twice......

An interesting thing happened to us when we changed our Sundancer's name. We did the denaming and naming ceremony all in the same day. It was a beautiful, sunny day with light winds and we did it right at the dock, even though the boat would eventually go back out to the mooring. In attendance was my wife, our two kids, my parents and grandmother. The ceremonies, themselves, went off without a hitch as we happily shared the bubbly refreshments with Neptune.

All was well and I motored the boat out to the mooring with the skiff in tow. I tied the newly named Lazy Daze up to the mooring, jumped in the skiff and rowed the 300' back to the dock. I tied the skiff up and started up the ramp to the house when all of a sudden the skies got dark, the wind started howling and what was once a calm, reflective sea turned into a dark mass of mean looking white caps.

At once, I realized that I did the naming ceremony wrong! I did it from the stern when it should of been done from the bow! I wasn't sure what to do as we were out of the bubbly stuff. My only chance was to hope that another form of alcohol would do. I rowed back out, cautiously hopped back on the rocking, and incorrectly named "Lazy Daze" and climbed up to the bow. I braced one leg against each side of the rail at the bow and performed the naming ceremony again.

Hoping I did it correctly, I made my way back into the skiff and back to the dock. As I finished tying the skiff to the dock, I stood up and looked out across the sea to our boat. Within the next 60 seconds the skies lightened, the seas calmed and Lazy Daze sat still and happy... even brightly gleaming as the sun broke through the clouds. Lucky for us, Neptune is a Miller Lite fan.

Reactions: RAYK

Punchline Cap

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
Here is the ceremony for renaming a boat:
It's a little long and slightly complicated but it does give you an excuse to drink champagne and have a little party. Good luck.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
That was first thing I did to mine, sitting in the driveway right after I bought it. Peeled the big decal/name off both sides. Even brought some adhesive remover with me to further clean it up. It had to go. Drank beer while I did it too, so it was an official de-naming ceremony!! :cool:

20170424_160150.jpg

Reactions: Bird Blaster

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I believe that to please some, you are supposed to leave the old name somewhere on the hull, or in the hull, even if out of sight.
Engrave the name on a piece of a metal and you drop it into the water during the denaming ceremony. But do not reveal the new name, or bring anything (duffle bag, for instance) onto the boat with the new name till the renaming ceremony.

Bird Blaster

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
That was first thing I did to mine, sitting in the driveway right after I bought it. Peeled the big decal/name off both sides. Even brought some adhesive remover with me to further clean it up. It had to go. Drank beer while I did it too, so it was an official de-naming ceremony!! :cool:

View attachment 18953
I like this ceremony.

seasick

Reaction score
I am somewhat superstitious about some things. Although I will walk under a ladder, I would never ever remove the old name from a boat I acquired! You need to have someone else remove the name. You can apply the new name but there is a ceremony. I will see if I can dig up that routine:)

seasick

Reaction score
I think this will do
Vigor's denaming ceremony

"In the name of all who have sailed aboard this ship in the past, and in the name of all who may sail aboard her in the future, we invoke the ancient gods of the wind and the sea to favor us with their blessing today.

"Mighty Neptune, king of all that moves in or on the waves; and mighty Aeolus (pronounced EE-oh-lus), guardian of the winds and all that blows before them:

"We offer you our thanks for the protection you have afforded this vessel in the past. We voice our gratitude that she has always found shelter from tempest and storm and enjoyed safe passage to port.

"Now, wherefore, we submit this supplication, that the name whereby this vessel has hitherto been known _____, be struck and removed from your records.

"Further, we ask that when she is again presented for blessing with another name, she shall be recognized and shall be accorded once again the selfsame privileges she previously enjoyed.

"In return for which, we rededicate this vessel to your domain in full knowledge that she shall be subject as always to the immutable laws of the gods of the wind and the sea.

"In consequence whereof, and in good faith, we seal this pact with a libation offered according to the hallowed ritual of the sea."
Christening ceremony

After a boat is denamed, you simply need to rename it using the traditional christening ceremony, preferably with Queen Elizabeth breaking a bottle of champagne on the bow, and saying the words:

"I name this ship ___________, and may she bring fair winds and good fortune to all who sail on her."

Byram

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
I have renamed 2 boats. As was said previously I wrote the old name in pencil inside the hull. Was probably having a beer anyway. So far so good.

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I was done with the starboard lettering on the bow, and about halfway through removing the vinyl lettering on the port, when all of a sudden it gets very dark. Next thing I know is that it starts to rain, very heavily. I had not felt the first drops due to bow overhang, and did not see the front coming down from the North, being on south side of boat. Had to quickly bail to my truck and wait it out. Ended up in a wicked thunderstorm with hail and bolts around me.

Took three sessions between storms to get the letters removed, and new ones installed.

Frightening day, to say the least.

eppem

Reaction score
Peel the old name off, rename it as you wish, fill the cooler with beer and the livewell with bait! That will appease the renaming Gods and all will be good! Has never failed us and we once renamed a boat that was called "GO AWAY"