Boat Separation

Fishtales

Reaction score
Anyone missing their boat yet? Mine's been on the hard about 3 weeks now. First chilly weather arriving. I still miss the water. Gonna be a long winter....

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I don't understand. My Winter season is just starting. Leaving for Islamorada for 11 weeks starting December 15th. Summer in NJ was OK on Nasty Habit but tournament fishing was slow.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I was fishing quite a bit during the summer, oftentimes 3-4 times a week or more depending on the circumstances, schedules and so forth. At times, I got a little burnt out going out every day for 4-5 days in a row and sometimes being out 3-4+ hours each time I was out. Now I definitely miss it and would love to do some fishing, even if it was just a couple of times a month. But fishing has closed down out here and the weather as well as the conditions can make it a bit difficult to go out and actually enjoy fishing with the cold, wind and rain.

igblack87

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
I've been out since mid Sept. Yes, I have withdrawals all the time that I am not on my boat or at the dock.

igblack87

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
Anyone missing their boat yet? Mine's been on the hard about 3 weeks now. First chilly weather arriving. I still miss the water. Gonna be a long winter....
How are you liking the North Shore?

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Weather was not good in the northeast, espacially weekend. Even with bad weather it was nice to escape to the boat for a few hours here and there . Definitely need a longer season!

Peter A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Emptied her out and cleaned her up for the NJ winter hibernation on the hard at Key Harbor in Waretown. But not before a few nice stripers today from the fall run, however I forgot to take a pic as I was fishing alone.

Attachments

• IMG_5554.jpeg
    IMG_5554.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 13

Fixit

Reaction score
Model
Islander
mines in the driveway for the BC winter too. once I get a few dry days the cover will go on, do a couple of oil changes, gear oil, then onto the list for maintenance related things. I had a great season, logging over 860miles travelled

Attachments

• Library - 1 of 1.jpeg
    Library - 1 of 1.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reactions: Peter A

Fishtales

Reaction score
How are you liking the North Shore?
I had a great season there. We took more than a few folks all around the harbor, up the mystic and charles rivers. Fished less than normal, but spent more days anchored and swimming with the family off Nahant and Swampscott. Went to Salem a couple of times as well.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I do not winterize my 208 it is kept in a warm boat barn at home and do mange to get out occasionally throughout the winter months. Pick my days and usually it is more about just being out there... hunting humpbacks, and maybe an Orca, a great time for prawning. It can be beautiful time with little to no other boats, flat water up against the the coastal mountain range covered in brilliant snow against a blue sky. My favourite tour is Desolation Sound area. Fortunately it is the centre of the universe and only an hour away from my Marina of choice.

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
im done for the year, had a great first year on a boat that i more or less bought without ever seeing. the family loved the lay out, it ran great, and should give us another great season next year.

that being said, i am excited for cozy fires and hopefully some snow this year. i guess thats the consolation prize, haha. i think in my ideal imaginary world, i would have 8 months of summer, 2 months of fall colors, and two months of consistent snow. no need for spring. this would give me 10 months of boating, and a enough of the other 2 seasons i like

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
It's amazing how dead GG is coming into the Holidays. I worked on the boat all Summer up North. Looking forward to my Endless Summer in the Keys for 11 weeks starting Christmas. Hopefully all my hard work will pay off in fishing time (not fixing the boat).

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
To me, I have no issue with being out on a boat when it's cold or whatnot, and have even been out fishing for tournaments or derbies when it was snowing outside. That being said, the biggest issue for me is pulling the boat out of the shop, de-winterizing it, going out and going fishing a couple of times and then re-winterizing it again. On top of that, I've got the boat at my beach cabin on Whidbey Island so it's even more work as opposed to just walking out to the garage, turning the key and going. If the conditions were decent, even if it was snowing outside and the fishing season was open, I'd still likely go out a few times during the winter months. That being said, when the fishing is closed or is really difficult, the conditions are quite bad and the boat has been winterized for the season... I oftentimes tend to consider other hobbies or things to do instead.

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
To me, I have no issue with being out on a boat when it's cold or whatnot, and have even been out fishing for tournaments or derbies when it was snowing outside. That being said, the biggest issue for me is pulling the boat out of the shop, de-winterizing it, going out and going fishing a couple of times and then re-winterizing it again. On top of that, I've got the boat at my beach cabin on Whidbey Island so it's even more work as opposed to just walking out to the garage, turning the key and going. If the conditions were decent, even if it was snowing outside and the fishing season was open, I'd still likely go out a few times during the winter months. That being said, when the fishing is closed or is really difficult, the conditions are quite bad and the boat has been winterized for the season... I oftentimes tend to consider other hobbies or things to do instead.
i agree. if i had a boat that stayed in a slip or on a lift lift and didnt have to deal with any winterizing or trailering/ramp, id boat 12 months of the year. snow boating seems like it would be fun.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

MashpeeMan

Reaction score
I just hauled my boat for the winter this past weekend and it does leave a pit in my stomach ending the season. I had a great year with the new motor on my 192. Probably ran the boat more than I ever have in the past and used much less fuel with the 4 stroke. As strange as it sounds there's a part of me that likes the fact that we have to put our boats away for the winter on the Cape. It makes us appreciate the boating season that much more in my opinion.

Reactions: Ekea

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
i agree. if i had a boat that stayed in a slip or on a lift lift and didnt have to deal with any winterizing or trailering/ramp, id boat 12 months of the year. snow boating seems like it would be fun.
Exactly. If the boat was in year round and all it took was some decent weather for the day and the turn of the key, then of course I'd be out fishing more in the wintertime. That being said, when fishing is closed down and the boat has been winterized for the season, I don't really have much incentive to go out just for the sake of doing so. Especially when the conditions aren't exactly favorable. Or if I was retired and living somewhere tropical with nothing else to do then yeah, of course it would be a bit of a different story.

Reactions: Ekea

Father's Day

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
Hanging in till 12/2 stripers are everywhere , yesterday they were inside the break wall at my marina, all keepers. Out front all cows best day fishing in years for me

Reactions: Sdfish and Peter A

Peter A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Hanging in till 12/2 stripers are everywhere , yesterday they were inside the break wall at my marina, all keepers. Out front all cows best day fishing in years for me
Where are you located? Next year I will try to leave the 208 in the water a bit longer. The only wet system is the saltwater wash down, I don’t have a livewell or freshwater so I think I can leave her in with the motor down and the saltwater wash drained out. I just moved to a new Marina and the old place had to have all boats out that were not renewing. I didn’t have a slip contract for the new place, they just pulled her out straight from the service dock. Next year hopefully can get deeper into the EOY, weather permitting.

Father's Day

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
Where are you located? Next year I will try to leave the 208 in the water a bit longer. The only wet system is the saltwater wash down, I don’t have a livewell or freshwater so I think I can leave her in with the motor down and the saltwater wash drained out. I just moved to a new Marina and the old place had to have all boats out that were not renewing. I didn’t have a slip contract for the new place, they just pulled her out straight from the service dock. Next year hopefully can get deeper into the EOY, weather permitting.
I'm in Jersey my boats in the Raritin Bay off Sandy Hook at Atlantic Highlands Marina