Boat shopping

ocdansar

Reaction score
Sold the marlin to the first person that looked at it. I’m going to look at a 33 tomorrow. Wish me luck. Details to follow.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
It is a seller's market right now. We're all stuck at home and boating is perhaps one of the safest things we can do in this COVID mess.

I looked at the 330 express on Grady's website today. One heck of a boat. Out of my league but if you can get and run one, go you!

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
@ocdansar now don't go buying a 33 without posting a LOT of photos.. lol.. my fav Grady, personally heh. There are a ton of awesome buys out there on that one version/model. I saw them ranging from 90k to 250k and more, but they all looked amazing. I saw a few around the 110-ish range that really were worth looking at.

Good luck and take a deep breath... if I were you, I would be like a kid in a candy store.. lol.. so, have fun and get that survey ;)

Russ

ocdansar

Reaction score
The one I went to look at needs a lot of love. The marlin I just sold took a lot not sure I’m up for it again. The 33 I looked at today was an 06 it needs a new generator, no freezer plates, upholstery for cockpit and helm area plus cabin. Electronics need updating. Yamaha F-250’s with close to 1500 hours. Boat needs a serious compound and buff maybe even some wet sanding. What would you guys offer on something like this? I am curious. This will be my 7 th grady and I usually buy the ones that need love. I am fully capable to restore cosmetically and mechanically but I’m getting tired physically. I have a barn and plan on a trailer for it.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Weeelll we could be related...lol

Looking forward to whatever journey you end up on.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The one I went to look at needs a lot of love. The marlin I just sold took a lot not sure I’m up for it again. The 33 I looked at today was an 06 it needs a new generator, no freezer plates, upholstery for cockpit and helm area plus cabin. Electronics need updating. Yamaha F-250’s with close to 1500 hours. Boat needs a serious compound and buff maybe even some wet sanding. What would you guys offer on something like this? I am curious. This will be my 7 th grady and I usually buy the ones that need love. I am fully capable to restore cosmetically and mechanically but I’m getting tired physically. I have a barn and plan on a trailer for it.
That's good you have your boundaries in place before you jump in.

Good luck!

Lsquared

Reaction score
Any boat 15 years old going to need some tlc

Reactions: RussGW270

ocdansar

Reaction score
No one has answered my question. How much would you offer with a good hull survey ? We realize with our budget of 150 k everything we look at is going to need work. We had several hundred hours in the marlin.

Stephnic

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I can’t even find a marlin worth buying. I looked at three of them and haven’t found anything yet. Looked at a 2001 that I was going to repower but it was completely trashed need so much work it wouldn’t have been worth it.

ocdansar

Reaction score
My 02 marlin was completely redone looked brand new. The only thing it needed was a repower the yammies were eat up with corrosion and new esinglass. On a rebuilt triple axle trailer I got 45k from the first guy that looked at it.

ocdansar

Reaction score
Since no one will throw out a price I have put pen to paper. I figured high on everything. New trailer new diesel generator new electronics new upholstery inside cabin and out on the deck. New refrigerator drawer type in cabin and adding one to the cockpit. New pumps bilge wash down and live well. I also figured a repower with a one or two year old low hour set that would have warranty. The number I came up with including the ask price of the boat was between 170 and 180 k.

You guys think an 06 with all this work done to it would be in that realm?

Jargon

Reaction score
Since no one will throw out a price I have put pen to paper. I figured high on everything. New trailer new diesel generator new electronics new upholstery inside cabin and out on the deck. New refrigerator drawer type in cabin and adding one to the cockpit. New pumps bilge wash down and live well. I also figured a repower with a one or two year old low hour set that would have warranty. The number I came up with including the ask price of the boat was between 170 and 180 k.

You guys think an 06 with all this work done to it would be in that realm?
From looking at prices for over a year, I think you’d be fortunate to find one with new everything at that price.
Backing out the numbers, I think a seller would be asking too much for you to make those changes and get to those numbers. It’s a seller’s market for sure (who woulda thunk that back on March 15th). Last October, I looked at an ‘04 with twin yammy 300’s with about 300 hours. Boat was fully rigged with a tuna top deck? and everything looked very well maintained, but not new. Price was $155 and located in the OBX.

Me personally, I think you’ll get better inventory over this winter as the balance of those on the fence trade up.

Lsquared

Reaction score
He’s at 100 even
I'm not seeing anything out there going for more than 160. Look at maintenance history and mid sections but not sure you will need a repower right away