Boat Trailer Ladder

Greyduk

Reaction score
I have been trying to come up with a ladder design for my trailer to make solo launching easier. I came up with using aluminum angle to have a simple but sturdy design.

Before Trailer Winch Post.jpg

After Trailer Ladder.jpg

Reactions: Down2four

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Good idea!! Nothing wrong with that. Most all pontoon trailers have a similar setup incorporating the winch stand.

HookUp

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Looks great. If I would add one thing it is protection of those corner angles. They look like they could do some serious damage God forbid you slip.
Maybe radius the corners?

Greyduk

Reaction score
Looks great. If I would add one thing it is protection of those corner angles. They look like they could do some serious damage God forbid you slip.
Maybe radius the corners?

I did smooth and round the edges. It is hard to tell in the photo but there are no sharp points to deal with. But I have still managed to bump my head a time or two while working on other things on the trailer. I always can find something to collide with.

HookUp

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I did smooth and round the edges. It is hard to tell in the photo but there are no sharp points to deal with. But I have still managed to bump my head a time or two while working on other things on the trailer. I always can find something to collide with.

LOL....Doesn't it always seem that way.

Willy-C

Reaction score
I luvit, I may need to steal your idea. I have found myself stepping over/on the winch a few times this year.

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Great idea. Goons have to steal it too. I have the wife trained to back the trailer down and hook up the boat while I drive up, but it will definitely help when I go Out alone.

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Nice work on the ladder!

Please correct me if I’m wrong but shouldn’t the bow roller be above the bow eye and the winch strap/cable pulling more horizontal?

The current configuration seems like it will keep the bow from bouncing up but not necessarily keep the boat from sliding back. Transom straps would probably solve that possible issue and it looks like it might take some work to move the winch post.

Reactions: Ky Grady

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Nice work on the ladder!

Please correct me if I’m wrong but shouldn’t the bow roller be above the bow eye and the winch strap/cable pulling more horizontal?

The current configuration seems like it will keep the bow from bouncing up but not necessarily keep the boat from sliding back. Transom straps would probably solve that possible issue and it looks like it might take some work to move the winch post.

Good catch!!!

Not sure his current stand has enough adjustment to get the eye under the roller. My roller and winch plate are all in one.

Screenshot_20200603-154134_Gallery.jpg

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
G
Nice work on the ladder!

You have a point there. Looks like if he raises the winch up to max height, it may help. Just not sure if that would bring the boat forward and alter the tongue weight.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Just went and looked at his pics again. Pic with boat is either old winch stand and trailer or he has had a new winch stand made for his old trailer. Different stands so he may have already corrected the problem.

Greyduk

Reaction score
Just went and looked at his pics again. Pic with boat is either old winch stand and trailer or he has had a new winch stand made for his old trailer. Different stands so he may have already corrected the problem.
KyG, your assessment is right on. I did not mention initially, but the "before" picture is with the original winch stand. It has a 24" height. There was no way to raise the winch assembly to have the bow roller above the bow eye. And therefor the winch strap pulled down and not horizontally. So I bought a 48" winch stand which allowed me to move the roller above the bow eye and that is what you see in the "after" picture. It also gave me a point to attach the ladder to. Now the roller is above the bow eye and the winch pulls in a straight line.

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
KyG, your assessment is right on. I did not mention initially, but the "before" picture is with the original winch stand. It has a 24" height. There was no way to raise the winch assembly to have the bow roller above the bow eye. And therefor the winch strap pulled down and not horizontally. So I bought a 48" winch stand which allowed me to move the roller above the bow eye and that is what you see in the "after" picture. It also gave me a point to attach the ladder to. Now the roller is above the bow eye and the winch pulls in a straight line.

Nice! Looks like a significantly stronger assembly.

Gotta ask, did you isolate the aluminum and galvanized with some sort of rubber sheet or pvc tape?