Boat Trailer Wheel Wash

rcrudder

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have an aluminum trailer for my 228G. Up until now the trailer has never been in the water. That could soon change due to circumstances. I am told that some trailers are now manufactured with a fitting that allows a fresh water hose to be connected and the water is then directed to the back side of the brake's assembly. Do any of you have knowledge of an after market kit that might be installed? The trailer is original with the boat and is a Performance brand with disc brakes on all four wheels.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
After-markets are available. Mostly seen with drums, however ... :wink:

rcrudder

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hey Cumurg.

I have been all over Google looking for an aftermarket product. No luck for drum or disc, not that it matters. Either would work. If you find a source please email me or post a reply. My email is rcrudder@gmail.com .

Thanks for the reply.

Bob

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
My last trailer had drum brakes and came with this already on it. Even though I flushed after every soaking, it was still a yearly maintenance issue. Don't see this working for disk brakes. You could easily get these items from Home Depot. If the backing plate does not have a hole ready for the fitting, drill one where it would not interfere with brake operation.

600.jpg

http://mandmmarine.com/fultonflushkitforbrakes.aspx

seasick

Reaction score
Ypu don't need it for disks. Just make sure to give the parts a good rinsing.

toolguy73

Reaction score
NOTHING ELSE MATTERS said:
seasick said:
Ypu don't need it for disks. Just make sure to give the parts a good rinsing.

What he said X2

X3

You wash the boat, squirt the hell out of the brakes. The washing sytems may not give you enough pressure or volume.

rcrudder

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
No kidding, the wash down system is not necessary for disc brakes? Actually this is the first trailer that I have owned that had disc brakes. I did have a previous tailer with drum brakes and I never put it in salt water. I always used the forklift. However, I did loan it to a friend or former friend who dunked it and about one year later I had to replace both sides. Thanks for the info.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
The best wash system for disc brakes is a hose and large volume of water. The wash down system shown is designed to screw into a hole in the drum brake backing plate, and inundate the interior with water. All parts of disc brakes are accessible from the exterior, thus, no need for a wash down system. I suppose you could retrofit (or A-A engineer) some system ... :uhm

gerrys

Reaction score
Curm is right...lotsa water and some spray. I dunk mine in salt a couple of times per week. When I arrive home the boat gets a wash and the calipers and rotor get healthy rinses on the inside and out.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Follow what Curmudgeon and Gerrys said.

The flush kits are designed for drum brakes...and the need to be able to flush inside the drum. Because everything is out in the open with discs, you can rinse them with a thorough shot from the hose.

It wouldn't hurt to use salt-away once a month or so...as it puts a protective coat on everything that is supposed to repel the salt.

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I keep a gallon or two of salt away mixture in a two gallon pump sprayer in a dock box mounted on the trailer tongue. After EVERY dunk it gets rinsed with the salt away solution. Very easy when the boat is off the trailer. One of the mates (fishing buddy)is trained to do this every time. I have a 2002 trailer and have only changed the pads once but they are ready for new ones this year. (lots of rust on them) I do disassemble the brakes every other year and sand and paint them with heat paint

rcrudder

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
As much as I hate to do it, I think that I will just dunk the trailer. It does pain me because it is almost showroom new. Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread.

Bob